Screen Weirdness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baffles, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Baffles macrumors regular

So, I'm on my third MBP, first one had an icky screen, second one had a bad screen too, and fan noise.

This one seems to be great so far, except for the fact that when I'm displaying a white screen (only time I notice it is on white/really light colored screen), the lower area has some darker areas in it. It looks great on a darker color and is unnoticeable unless the screen is a uniform light color. It's just like dark streaks on either side, and seems to mostly go away if I change my angle of view.

Is this anything to be concerned about? It does bug me a little bit as it seems to catch my eye, but it only seems to happen on light colored screens, such as when surfing the web. I'm not sure if I'm just nitpicking or not, considering the laptop is only a week old.

[edit]
    I should say that it seems to mostly go away after the screen is on for a while, leaving only a little un-evenness to be noticed.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

My PowerBook does this occasionally in a similar location upon waking from sleep, but it becomes unnoticeable after a minutes or two. There have been occasional reports of this stretching back through many generations of PowerBooks and MacBook Pros and it has to do with the backlight warming up unevenly.

If it takes a long time for things to even out or if it's particularly annoying, I'd talk to Apple about it. Mine isn't bad enough to really bother me, so I didn't pursue it while I was under warranty, and am certainly not about to have it looked at on my own dime now. :)

3. Baffles thread starter macrumors regular

I was under the impression that the new LED backlights didn't need warmup time to even out though.

4. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

led displays dont need warmup time.

lcd's do - id have a word with apple especially if its under warranty :)