screen without brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lhoffstadt, Oct 16, 2014.

1. lhoffstadt macrumors member

lhoffstadt

Hi all, my name is Luis and I have a Macbook Air from 2010 and I have really weird problem with the screen.
    The OS boots totally fine but the screen is totally black, no brightness.
    In the beginning I thought the screen was totally death, but I took the Mac outside and notice that with external light you can almost see all in the screen.
    Also if I used a flashlight and I can see everything on the screen, and of course I tried to get to the max the brightness configuration but no change at all.
    I have took the Mac to an Apple Store and connect it to an external monitor and no image at all.
    Maybe a faulty Motherboard or faulty video card or perhaps a loose connection screen cable?
    I don't have much knowledge on how to repair this or maybe if I can.

Any suggestions or maybe someone had the same issue?

Many thanks for any reply on this.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Es muy simple Luis.

The panel's backlit is broken. The backlit is a set of LED lamps behind the LCD that provides the illumination like a photographer lighting table.

LEDs don't tend to break, it maybe just a loose cable if you are handy enough to open it and re-plug everything. If not then you need a professional to take a look, shouldn't be too expensive to fix but of course a 4 years old laptop, ask what they want$ and see if it's worth it to you.

3. lhoffstadt thread starter macrumors member

lhoffstadt

Many thanks for your help, I will try to fix this. Take care

4. lhoffstadt thread starter macrumors member

lhoffstadt

I was wondering even if I have try to connect the macbook air through the dvi port to an external screen and I don't have any image can still be the backlit?