Screen won't fit inside monitor?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thealpha1, Dec 18, 2015.

1. thealpha1 macrumors member

Hi all.

I have recently installed Windows 7 via boot camp on my 2011 Macbook Pro 17" - I have a 27" monitor I have it connected too, but for whatever reason, I just cannot get the screen to fit the monitor, there is a few inches where it is just black and it's really uncomfortable to use.

When I right click on the desktop and click on 'AMD Catalyst Control Center' I get the following error: "AMD Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using AMD Catalyst Control Center."

This is a really weird error though - when I turn the laptop on and when I get prompted to enter my password, the whole screen fits perfectly within the monitor, but as soon as I enter my password and log into Windows, you see the black spaces again. Really not sure what's going on here?

I have also tried to install the drivers for the intel graphics chip which is also installed and I get an error saying that my system does not meet the minimum requirements.

I have 100% fully updated Windows 7 to the current software so it cannot be an issue with that.

Any ideas?

Thank you all!

2. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

It's usually an issue with drivers that let's the screen be fully recognized by the OS for dimensions and resolutions etc.

Another thought is that the monitor will have black on the sides but when you drag a window to it (i.e MS Word file or the likes) and expand it to full screen, it will work.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

In Windows, does your device manager show problems with **any** device drivers?