Screen won't rotate when walking!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple?, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Apple? macrumors member

Whenever I am physically moving, the iphone 3g screen won't rotate in safari or in photos. I'll turn the iphone, but the screen won't rotate until I physically stop moving!! Anyone else have this problem?

2. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

It does that to me occasionally. I got one even better. Now my iphone does this all the time , it wont rotate the bar with my time and battery status. It actually doesnt bother me that bad. everything else works great.

Attached Files:

3. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I actually just had this happen to me today. Never noticed it before...

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

It happens to me also. I also noticed that when I do stop and it does rotate then after scrolling down a page the page will on it's own scroll back to the top without me doing anything.

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I have that happen occasionally as well. Usually with videos and Safari. Sometimes force quitting the app fixes is it or a hard restart if it doesn't.

6. Apple? thread starter macrumors member

So is this pretty much normal or should I go try to get a replacement at the genius bar?

7. rxmxsh macrumors member

I've had it happen, but not often. If you can replicate it every time, then maybe swing by a store for a replacement.

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

agreed.. what i do is "flick the phone" in the direction i want it to flip.. this is usually a strong enough signal to get it to work

9. Inukami macrumors 6502

mine won't even rotate when i'm moving with anything(safari, ipod, etc). I have to stop and turn my iphone again to get it to turn...

10. archi17 macrumors regular

i think the problem is that the accelometer has some sort of liquid or a ball inside it, and when you are walking it is jumping everywhere and the iPhone doesn't know what direction it is in. Well thats what i think anyway, you might want to look up and see how the accelometer physically works, because i am probably wrong

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

12. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yeah, this happens to me when walking also. i can't get the ipod out of cover flow w/out returning to the home screen first.

haven't tried stopping, though, so maybe i'll give that a try....

13. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

That is intended. The accelerometer has to be in one position for a while before the UI will rotate because otherwise every time you moved you phone it would flip all over the place.

14. Apple? thread starter macrumors member

If this is indeed a problem and not just a normal hardware issue like many have suggested, maybe it has something to do with the loose/rattling noise I hear inside my iphone when I shake it? Yes, I've held down all the buttons and the silent/vibrate switch. Does anyone else hear a rattling noise when shaking the phone?

15. Inukami macrumors 6502

Yeah if you shake the iPhone you will hear it, that's normal.

16. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

Yeah that is normal. My first generation iPhone did that as well and the new 3G.

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

Is it possible that while you are walking and using your phone that you have it laid almost flat to look down at it, almost as if it was laying on a table?

Sit the phone on a table and rotate it, nothing will happen. There is no way for the phone to know what direction it is in that case. That is just simple physics...there just simply is no way. Not saying that's what is causing your issue, but it likely could be.