Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
I opened the lid yesterday and the screen wouldn't turn on. I did a hard reboot, but the screen still didn't turn on, even long after I heard the startup chime. I've tried a PMU and PRAM reset; no good. It sounds like its running fine but the GPU is just screwed up. Also, when i close the lid, the computet won't to to sleep. Any ideas whats going on?

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
If its all stock and having this amount of trouble, just take it back to apple for a simple exchange.

wezwaldo

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2005
Me Too

this is killing me too. Seems to just be a MBP 2.4 Leopard issue.

At first I thought it was a just a problem with not just waking from sleep, but its happens when turning the computer on as well.

I read it could be iStat but I got rid of that and no joy.

The only way Ive occasionally been able to get the screen to turn on is booting into firewire disk mode (holding T at startup) and attaching another computer to it with firewire(this step may not be necessary but I have been doing it to transfer files), then for some strange reason it works when I reboot after turning it off again, something must happen in the disk mode process which fixes it temporarily.

Ive also been resetting the PRAM quite often but I dont know if thats helping or not.

Ive doing all this as a workaround and its bloody tedious....

I took it into an apple repair place and because I have a small unrelated dent on my computer they said it wasnt under warranty?

My only hope is that at the actual apple store (if I can get a goddam appointment) they'll realise that the dent is unrelated and fix it for free....

honuwebd

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
I am using 10.4 and I do use Insomnia X. I will close the lid, and then I will open it some time later, with my screen refusing to turn on. I have to shut it down. It only happens sometimes. Does anyone have any fixes?

wezwaldo

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2005
OK so whats working almost every time for me is....

When you hit sleep on your laptop, the screen goes black, (which one would assume means its sleeping) but the blue light on the front still glows solid for a while, sometimes up to around 30-60sec, then it starts the glow transition animation thing afterwards.

It seems that this is a crucial few seconds for the computer because my problem hasnt happened once since I started waiting for the light to start glowing before I shut the laptop.

So in short, dont shut the lid till you see the light glowing on and off. This works for me, but its still a somewhat annoying workaround.

good luck

honuwebd

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
But I use insomnia x because it won't cut my internet connection
if i go to sleep mode, doesn't the connection cut out?

wezwaldo

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2005
I dont really know anything about that program, Im not sure what you are trying to achieve...
It sounds like you just want your display to sleep and not your computer because you want your internet connection running all the time?

honuwebd

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
yes sir
and the application is usually successful, but it's very obnoxious when i have to shut down my computer
i essentially don't know if someone has left me a message via ichat or whatever because I cannot see my screen

wezwaldo

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2005
My problem was only occuring when I put the actual computer to sleep, my display would always wake up if it was only that which was asleep.

You may want to try running thing from the system sleep prefs, just set the computer to 'never sleep' and the display to something shorter. I guess the main limitation is that you cant actually instruct the display to sleep and not the computer as well, while insomnia can do this??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.