Screen Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Flyer77, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Flyer77 macrumors newbie

I am terrified that my barely one-year old, out of warranty, MBP is broken! Basically, when I try to power it on, the screen simply does not turn on. I know the computer is working because if I press Caps Lock it lights up, and when I hit the different sound levels the clicking noise is made. The dimmer does nothing. Has anyone ever experienced this. Why will my screen simply not turn on? My mac is not attached to anything and has all the latest updates. Please help!

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

3. Flyer77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the suggestion, but I cannot carry an external monitor with me everywhere. Are there any ideas?

4. Gadget-Girl macrumors newbie

You should have to repair it to an Apple technician. There is nothing you can do. My friend had the same issue three months ago. Her MBP's logic board got replaced and she had to wait for two weeks to get it back. Hope yours will be OK soon though. Good luck! :)

5. AsianGIRLpure macrumors member

Well, i were stuck with the exactly same trouble 3 weeks ago as u are experiencing now.

And i'm pretty sure the GPU are dead, so send it to apple store, wait another 2weeks to get it back. The technician will replace the GPU with an estimate cost of 320bucks:(.......

PS: this is actually another very classical case associate with the ****Nvidia
    Graphic card... Screw It!!!!:mad:

6. AsianGIRLpure macrumors member

Well I just noticed that we encountered the problem at almost the same time, i mean it's like one month out of warranty :eek: and the SH*t happens:mad::mad:

7. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

If you take your laptop on the go with you a lot, and it experiences a significant amount of movement... there is a chance the GPU is not dead. If you can attach an external monitor and get that to work without problems, clearly the GPU is not dead. It's possible that a cable came out somewhere... have you ever went inside of it to replace anything or just look around?

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

before we start calling out GPUs...please try an external monitor first.

You're absolutely sure the LCD is not functioning? or is it just the backlight that's out (you can see a faint image on the screen)

9. Flyer77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I went to the repair center today. The technician mentioned that the logic board is broke, so thus I need a repair of $300. That's ridiculous.