Screen wont work but computer will?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fleegerc, Dec 1, 2010.

1. fleegerc macrumors member

I recently spilled a small amount of water on my macbook pro and now the screen doesnt work. The computer starts up and makes sound so I took it into an apple store. They told me there was water damage and the logic board was broke so it would be 600 to fix it. I couldnt believe it. I plugged my computer into a tv threw the mini display port and everything works fine. My question is does the logic board really need replaced? Where can I get this fixed the cheapest or should I just sell it for parts? If so where and how much should I look to get? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

The biggest thing you have to be concerned with liquid damage is the corrosion it causes on the logic board - there may be no problem now but that corrosion can lead to some serious shorting problems later on.

As for fixing, I'm sure you can google for some services and compare rates. eBay is always a great place to offload "non-work and for parts" computers. Not sure how much you could get but maybe up to half the computers worth if you find the right buyer? CL too, there are lots of hobbyists :)