Screencasting - Audio: Garage Band, Audition or Logic Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reg88, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Reg88 macrumors regular

So I've decided to finally make my screencasts with the audio track separate from the video track and I'm trying to pick the appropriate audio software.

In terms of audio software only, for screencasts is Garage Band good enough? I have access to Adobe Audition because of my CS6 subscription, but I'm also not opposed to getting Logic Pro because I have a one-to-one setup for another 8 months so I can easily get training in the software.

If it matters I will be using screenflow or camtasia 2 for the video recording.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I responded to your other thread about video software.

First of all, I think you may find that Premiere or FCP are enough for your audio needs. It's a good idea to separate the audio, like you're planning to do, but both provide a decent amount of audio editing options.

Otherwise, pick the video app, then use the corresponding audio app.

If you find you're outgrowing Premiere or FCP when it comes to audio, try Audition and Garageband. If you start outgrowing Garageband, consider Logic.

Again, Audition and Logic are probably serious overkill for your needs, though.

3. kohlson macrumors 65816

Agreed that the audio capabilities included in Premiere or FCP are more than enough for screencasting. I have Camtasia and Screenflow, and use Audacity to capture and edit audio. I'm not in a booth, and use an AT2020, so the editing software is a long way from being the weak link. I have CS6 Audition, and it has some nice capabilities. Ditto for FCP/Soundtrack Pro. Garageband will work, but it's a little clunky -- not really intended for voice/podcasting, though it will work. Breen/Macworld just did a piece on how he does podcasts, and tools he uses.
    Are there features you wish to see in GB (or Audition) that aren't there? Is there something in Logic that you believe will make your workflow and output better?

4. Reg88 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you both for your replies. I'm asking because I'm in my discovery phase. I was always a casual screencaster using camtasia (pc and mac) with a built-in mic, and then editing in camtasia. I would then make title slides in keynote, and put the whole thing together in iMovie. For this purpose this worklfow was fine. But due to the demands of my next venture. I need to really produce great screencasts and step it up.

I have a samson C01U and I'm simply trying to figure out the appropriate software to use ahead of time (e.g. I don't want to be that guy using Word to do what InDesign is designed to do).

At this point I'd like to:
    1. record the audio and clean it up (I'm learning now what this actually means) in FCP? (if I can skip using GB or Logic or Audition that's fine with me).
    2. record the video in screenflow.
    3. put it all together (I think in screenflow by bringing in the audio
    4. have my graphic designer do the titles, etc.
    5. go into FCP or Premier and bring in the titles and the screenflow file and put it together.

Am I on the right track here?
    Thanks again to you both!