Screencasting: Please share your workflow...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reg88, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Reg88 macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,
    In my attempt to enhance my screencasting efforts from initial recording to post-production, I figured I'd start a thread where people can share their screencasting workflows (and hardware if you'd like, too).

My initial workflow:
    1. Record audio and video in camtasia 2 with built in mic (iMac/MBP)
    2. Edit in camtasia 2.
    2. Make titles in Keynote and export.
    3. Paste it all together in iMove and publish.

My new workflow (still a work in progress).
    1. Record and clean-up audio in garage band (or Audition CS6)
    2. Record screen in screenflow, record video with mounted HD camera
    3 Add audio and HD video into screenflow and combine.
    4. Add titles and paste it all together (keynote/iMovie | motion/FCPX)

Looking forward to see what others do.
    Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

I do not do screencasts, but little Mac OS X tutorials on using ScreenFlow (record and edit) and then, due to the complexity involved I use After Effects for further effect.

Here you can see my Channel, unsorted like hell.

3. Reg88 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Do you do your titles all in AE, or do you do them in keynote or something like that first?

And if I wanted to make SIMPLE titles and animations in AE (I have it via CS6 subscription) is there a quick learning curve for that, or is motion a better way to go?

4. onekerato macrumors regular

Screencasting workflow

If you wanted to make simple titles & animations, suggest you skip AE and work in Premiere Pro (PP) which has a fast, inbuilt titling tool.

That said, I personally think Motion+FCPX UI is miles better than AE+PP. This is based on watching video tutorials, not heavy editing. Again, Motion works best together with FCPX. You would want to create/customize a FCPX title using Motion, and insert titles into your ScreenFlow-exported movie in FCPX.

ScreenFlow exists largely because it provides an end-to-end solution for creating screencasts. If you involve FCPX or PP in the workflow, you may have to do a lot of rework for a simple correction. Thus, if you can make do with inserting transparent-background assets (stills & clips) into your screenflow project, you should do that. You can use nested clips in ScreenFlow 4 to set up title & lower-third sequences which can be copied from one ScreenFlow project to another to save you time.

For anyone interested, I recently wrote an ebook on "Conceptual Guide to ScreenFlow" (http://www.onekerato.com/ebooks.html).