Screencasting - Post Production - FCP + Motion vs. Premiere Pro + AE

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reg88, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Reg88 macrumors regular

I am recording screencasts with camtasia 2 or screenflow and I am trying to select post-production software.

I have access to the entire CS6 suite with my subscription, but I also have a one-to-one setup for the next many months so I wouldn't have a problem working at the Apple store and having them teach me FCP and motion.

Can anyone shed some light on why I'd pick one set over the other?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

FCP X and Motion are easier to get into and are not as complex (not a bad thing) as Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Try the trial of FCP X and I do not know, if there is a Motion trial.

3. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

If you're used to Adobe apps, you might find Premiere easier to use, and the tools easier to understand. Premiere is a little more complex and has some of its own quirks, though.

If you're used to working with iMovie, you will probably find Final Cut Pro X very intuitive, and Motion is very easy to learn as well.

Personally, I love Final Cut Pro X, and it's not nearly as bad as all the hype would have you believe. It's mostly professionals with very specific needs who were burned by the missing features. For the stuff you're doing, it sounds like it would be very adequate, and of course, it's getting better all the time.

I will say, your idea of learning FCP in the store is only valid if there is actually someone there who knows how to use it well.

Otherwise, I would recommend you get a Lynda.com subscription and learn whichever programs you choose that way. Lynda is extremely good.

4. Reg88 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually already have a Lynda.com account and I do agree. I'm willing to invest the time but I want to invest in the right place. I hate NOT to use the Adobe products because I have them anyway (I use CS6 for DW, FW, PS, Bridge only) but if FCP + Motion are relatively easier, then I'm in.

If/once I get the project off the ground, then I will bring in freelancers to really handle the audio and the video processing, and the post-production.

Thanks for your input!