ScreenDimmer - saves battery - now in CydiaStore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Reilly, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Reilly macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    ScreenDimmer allows you to save battery life by automatically dimming your device's screen after a pre-defined time; or if you wish by turning the backlight off.

Most users suffer unnecessary battery drain while having their iPhone not on standby. Setting auto-lock to a short time makes it better, but is an inconvenience most of the time due to permanent locking and unlocking while waiting for something.

ScreenDimmer is the solution for this problem: Save battery life by reducing the backlight to a minimum if the device hasn't been used for a pre-defined time and reduce the waste of the most energy consuming component, the backlight, of the iPhone or iPod.

Free yourself from worrying about locking your device

Brought to you by the developers of 3G Unrestrictor and Firewall iP.

ScreenDimer is available via the CydiaStore for only $0.99!

Features:

- Longer battery life
    - Can turn the display's backlight of
    - Dims the screen after a user defined time
    - Doesn't dim the screen if the battery is being charged
    - Doesn't dim if an app needs the screen (navigagtion software, video players, …)
    - Ability to exclude apps from dimming
    - Configuration interface in the Settings app

[​IMG]

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Interesting. Where's vandam? We need him to give us a review! :)

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

4. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Whats the advantage to this over the built-in Auto-lock...?

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yea, and with spelling errors ! :rolleyes:

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Really??? Just compare the options available.

That can be down to the OP living where English isn't the primary language.

I wonder how turning the backlight off aids reading in bright daylight? My NeoGeo Pocket that's great in daylight, but with no backlight is bad in the dark. This seems to give the best of both including the battery improvements from toggling the backlight. It means that, when JBen, the iPad will be an even better eBook reader. A SBSettings backllight toggle would be awesome.

I would appreciate it if the OP ran the following tests. Play a full movie with the backlight both on and off and let us know how much the battery % decreased after each run.

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

It doesn't... Try turning your brightness way down in daylight. That's why the iPhone has an ambient light sensor, it actually turns UP brightness in daylight to increase contrast.

The way iPhone and laptop screens work is a bit different than the old NeoGeo or GameBoy screens. Those don't have backlights and probably have some reflective material behind the LCD to redirect the ambient light back through the screen (don't quote me, just a guess).

What I can say for sure is that the iPhone, or a laptop or iPad for that matter, with no backlight is virtually unreadable in daylight. You'll get almost all glare. :)