Screening share Qs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by irishgrizzly, Sep 18, 2008.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I want to access my home mac from work. Both have leopard. I have enabled screen sharing on both and got a vnc address.

I go to "connect to server" and enter the vnc code. Screen sharing boots up and tries to connect, but I get an error saying can't connect; check screen sharing is on.

Could the problem be that my home mac is behind the router firewall? Or do I need to accept the connect from the home machine?

2. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Looking at the address it's something like XXX.XXX.X.1 and my home address is something like XXX.XXX.X.16, so I'm thinking that these are only good for a local network?

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If you have .mac/mobileme you can use 'Back To My Mac' to it. I'm not sure how else you would do it as Im not a 'network' guy. It's definitely possible though. :)

EDIT: I'm not sure why you need a VNC address when you are on your local network as you should just be able to select the device in the sidebar and click sharescreen/connect then just type in your password.

4. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I don't really want to pay for mobileme just to do this (I'd have little use for it otherwise).

Just to clarify – I have a machine in work and one at home at the other side of the city that I want to screen share with.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You will need to forward port 3283 on your router to the LAN IP of your home Mac.

6. bpasker macrumors member

You would need to know your internet IP addess and setup port forwarding on your router.

You can visit a website like http://www.ip-adress.com/. This will tell you your external ip address. The next step would be to setup your router to port forword to your laptop.