Screenium, HandBrake.. Or an Alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dhelsdon, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

First, I'll start by describing what I am trying to do then I will describe what I've been doing..

Okay so, I want to take my TV series' DVDs, and get the episodes into seperate video files for my :apple:TV.
    I've been using a fully registered version of Screenium, which works alright but the problem is, the final size of the videos is massive. I am looking for an alternative method to doing this, I've heard HandBrake is good but Isn't it basically just a DVD clone?

If you know anything that might help, that'd be great!

2. mcruzader macrumors regular

No, a DVD is a VideoTS folder, handbrake encodes the DVD files, converts them to mp4..

3. randallisation macrumors newbie

I use Handbrake 0.9.3 - I use the AppleTV preset and I find it gives a reasonable quality encode.

I've done about 1,400 episodes and so far have had one superdrive fail (Mac mini).

Just watch out for TV shows that include subtitles as part of the main show, I've found sometimes these are actually not hard recorded into the video, but a separate subtitles track. I normally open the DVD / episode in VLC, check the normal audio track, subtitles track, and video track so I know exactly what to select in Handbrake.

Hope this is of some use.

4. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Indeed it was, I didn't realize HandBrake had so many great options and features. My only question now, It is currently copying my DVD of Corner Gas (S1) into an mkv file. Will I have to manually seperate the episodes as they will all be in one video file, I want them like..

Corner Gas - S1E01 - Ruby Reborn.mkv
    Corner Gas - S1E02 - Tax Man.mkv

etc.. whereas right now it is just one file,

Corner Gas - S1.mkv

5. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Theres a drop down box, where it has the time lenght of the DVD, it should have the seperate episodes there. Add to que>then when you have added all of them to the que, just press start.

6. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Yea I was using that, until my hard drive was full.. but I am also in the process of migrating over 500GB of movies to my NAS drive:)