Screenless iMac for Video Editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gkarris, May 19, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, I need to get a Mac for church for video editing (the person letting us use his PM G5 is leaving for grad school).

The iMacs have a monitor built in (we'd like to get a separate one) and the Mac Pros are too much money...

Here we go again, looking for a Mac tower that's iMac specs but without the monitor....

What to do in the meantime - assuming what's out now is what we have to purchase?

Have about $1000, then have to buy software - maybe FC Studio....

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can't even hardly get an iMac at $1000. Looks like it's either a low end iMac (which you don't want from what I read in your post) or a Mac Mini.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

You are limiting based on price. Do some fundraising at church. Have the kids do a special offering with baskets. Couple weeks of that and you'll have enough to get a good setup. You'll be happier in the long run with the results. Ya just gotta ask the saints... :D

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

You either need to gather more money or be ready to take a slower machine.

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

imac core duo 1.66 with 2GB of ram will be enough for what your doing, more powerful than a powermac and the IGP is not a problem for video editing, you also save the planet a little with its extreamly low power requirement.

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I think this poster meant Mac mini.

And you really can't beat the value of the 17" or 20" iMac. Why do you want a separate monitor? The monitor in the 20" iMac is spectacular and the 17" is acceptable... certainly more than you'll get for $150-$200 anywhere else. Apart from the monitor, you're getting a faster CPU, bigger hard drive and 1GB RAM standard, not to mention the Radeon chip which will help for previewing your effects.

9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I agree, you can't really beat the price-value of the iMac. Why do you need a separate monitor?

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

As has been said, go for a Mac mini. The integrated graphics will only 'suck' for Motion and Color. Everything else, and the graphics chip doesn't accelerate squat.

11. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks.

I'm going to budget for an iMac refurb, and in Oct. when we are ready to buy (our budget year matches the schools', Sept. to following Aug.), either there will be a new mid range "tower" or a Mini that can run Funal Cut Studio. If neither, then a refurbished iMac will do for now.