Screens and Backlights

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lauph, Dec 18, 2007.

1. lauph macrumors regular

My MBP's screen will be replaced in a few days time and this question suddenly came to me.

Is the screen and backlight one same combined component or are they two different and separate components?

So if they are replacing the screen for me, are they replacing the backlighting too? or the backlighting will stay?

2. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

3. blammy macrumors newbie

Technically, they are two separate parts. It is possible to replace the LCD and keep the existing LED backlight. As far as parts replacements are concerned, it is more likely the entire unit will be replaced simply because it's faster and easier.

4. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Assuming they have a LED backlit LCD... either way, there would be no reason to just replace a backlight on a LCD for an LCD replacement.

5. blammy macrumors newbie

You are correct. However in the event of Dead Pixels, I have seen the LCD replaced whilst keeping the existing backlight, LED or CCFT is irrelevant.

It is simply a matter of a quick repair versus an extensive and difficult repair.

6. lauph thread starter macrumors regular

Ok just got it back from repair. They said the WHOLE top cover was replaced

yay

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

That's usually the case; reason being man-hours are usually more expensive than parts.