Screens on the Retinas

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Damien, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Damien macrumors regular

What's the deal with the lagging issues on the screens? Does it still happen with the current range? Not sure I can be bothered with waiting for Haswell but I keep hearing about LG or Samsung screens and I am not sure what that means?

2. ru7hl355 macrumors member

3. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

I haven't experienced any lag on my rMBP 15''. Also, the lag is due to software, once Mavericks comes out, the lag shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Also, LG screens (the first version) are prone to IR. I haven't noticed any iR on my LG screen, but a lot of people suggest getting a Samsung screen so you don't have to deal with the screen issues.

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

I think you might be confusing two separate issues.

There is an image retention issue that some LG screens exhibit: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1422669&highlight=image+retention
    Many first revision LG screens had this issue, but most Samsungs were unaffected, that's why people were checking their screens manufacturers. A new revision of the LG panel mostly fixed the issue.

And then there's the UI lag issue: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1386070&highlight=retina+lag
    Software updates have mostly fixed this issue.

5. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

The primary reason why the displays are lagging is not because of lack of hardware performance, but mostly because of the scrolling is mostly dependant on the CPU, and not the GPU.

This may therefore be fixed further by GPU acceleration instead of CPU acceleration, and therefore it will be further improved in upcoming Mac OS X updates.

Also, the ghosting is not much of an issue as there are less LG displays coming into production at this current time.

Also, keep in mind that Safari suffers less lagging in regards to lagging when scrolling, while Google Chrome may lag.