Screens WONT be fixed you guys...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Garrett, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Garrett macrumors regular

They won't be able to create a whole new Bach of iPod's in 10 days. Anyhow they guy at my store told me that all iPod's are almost made for shipping. There is no way to diagnose the problem, make millions of new screens ship them to the factorys and apply them, let alone then ship them...no way Jose. (Didn't throw in the testing of the screens either)

There are always miracles so, that's what you have to look up for :)

Apple said I can come and exchange it whenever, just ask for support as I have the 1 year warranty. He said if it's something they can't fix, they just exchange it with my defected one. I will be doing this, although mine is VERY minor, it's something I can't have with something I paid sooo much for.

2. volumecontrol macrumors newbie

You really don't think Apple will fix people's bad screens? You think they'll just sit around and take the bad press? :rolleyes:

3. Garrett thread starter macrumors regular

I never said the won't fix them at all, just won't be fixed from this first batch of shipping. As it would be too much, to reproduce sooo many iPod's in time.

4. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I think he meant that they won't correct the problem if it is a production issue before sending out the pre-orders. Right?

5. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

If they've already diagnosed the problem it's likely they've also rectified it. Since reports indicate it was simply an incorrectly applied (or not applied at all) reflective coating, I think it would be an easy fix.

I think if there was a problem with the screens themselves (I mean the screens in general, not just that they got a bad batch, which I think is the case here, if its not just a coating issue) it'd have been identified in testing, and would affect all units, not just some.

I don't know what "all iPods are almost made for shipping" is supposed to mean, but it's likely the guy at the store hasn't a clue what he's talking about.

Now, whether the iPods that'll be sent to those who pre-ordered will be of a new batch that has been fixed or not is another question. Hopefully Apple has identified all the problem units in the warehouses, and won't ship them out.

6. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

Funniest topic ever.

Ok, lets say they don't fix them by the time the first 'major' batch is shipped. Then they will have to return most of them and that will give them self a bad name.

Now, if they are smart, which they will be about this, they will have already figured out the problem (which is most likely the coat on the screen, which they forgot) they will either work their butts off and swap all the ones ready to ship (or fix them) with better ones, or simply delay the shipping date a little.

We're talking about a major company with a major problem with one of their major products. Apple isn't stupid.

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Someone already said that when a Mac Genius contacted Apple they were all amazed at the stories of the bad Touch screens and wanted them to send the defective unit out to them.

If they really don't know that there's an issue then it's going to be weeks before it is resolved.

8. Garrett thread starter macrumors regular

That right there is EXACTLY what the guy at my store said, I was like, do you logon to the internet at all? It's on ArsTechinca, Digg, MSNBC, ABC and very popular blogs...

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Most people don't read any tech blogs and there's no real big news about the issue.

Additionally many people WITH the issue simply won't care about the crappy screen assuming that's how it's supposed to be and still be mesmerized with all the other capabilities of this new toy.

10. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

There really aren't millions of ipods sat in warehouses.. that's not how it works these days (if it ever really did). Ipods sat in warehouses == lost money. Notice how most of the ipods being sold are week 36/37? Week 37 is last week - so you're looking at a maximum of two weeks between manufacture and sale. By the 28th they'll be selling ipods made after the fault was recognised and (presumably) fixed.

11. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Unfortunately there are now reports that the newer shipping iPhones have the same junk screen that's in the iPod.

If that's true then it means that Apple is using a very low end screen manufacturer and this is the performance we can expect from now until the next re-design.

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

mine was built week 37 and i bought it sunday of week 38 you're telling me they cant fix it in time to ship them? Sorry but you're wrong.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apple never really use top high quality hardwares. But seems like they are now using low end stuff actually.

I don't mind return my Touch in 3 weeks to BB, and wait until something happens.

14. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It'll be interesting to find out what happens when the week 38 itouches start to hit the shops, and whether they have the issue (indeed how long it takes for this to happen).

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i would hope the 38s would be fixed, espically since they knew about this on monday morning