Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganB

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
This happened to me for the first time today. I was actively using the computer when it happened.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Do both you have display set to sleep before screen setting activation. So screen saver default is 20 min, display sleep is like 10. In all my Mac years, I've never seen the screen saver activated.

This does sound like bug, but.

dawideksl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Poland
I can see the mouse moving, but no effect. Screensaver is still on. Touching a key does nothing.

MorganB

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Same. Cursor moves around on top of screen saver. Doesn't respond to any keyboard commands. I also had to shut the computer and open it again to get the screen saver to go away just as the op.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Do you maybe have the screensaver set to activate when you touch a hot corner? That might explain why it activates. It wouldn't explain why it fails to deactivate. Since you see the cursor moving around, it seems the machine is awake. Maybe it's trying to deactivate but another process is preventing it. What if you test the screensaver with no apps running at all? Is there anything in Activity Monitor using a lot of CPU?

You might need to wait for 11.1 for a fix.

Reactions: Zazoh

tyron

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
Happened to me yesterday as well, while I was actively using the computer. The screensaver stays over the regular screen, but the mouse pointer is still on top and moving. But nothing else works: no key combination or hot corners or anything will do. You have to close and re-open lid.

ajaan

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
I had this too. Screensaver set to never, like always, no hot corners, randomly comes on, and you can't deactivate. I had to close the lid, reopen, and log back in. Seems like a bug, whether Big Sur or M1.

Reactions: MorganB

M1appleuser

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
I have this issue as well. It is not hot corners or screen saver turning on due to inactivity. It is some kind of bug.

dawideksl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Poland
I send You all a video. Screensaver set to never, no hot corners. Tried to change settings multiple times, rebooted. Only software installed Is Messenger and MS Teams. Beside that, system is clean (only system apps) (But this happened before installing 2 mentioned apps also). Its ******* annoying. Had couple of Macs, this is the first one to have issue like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: pistillo99

Honey_crisp

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2020
Having this issue with my M1 MBA. Posted in a similar thread in the Big Sur forum. Hopefully this is just a software issue, would hate to return the laptop because it is hands down the best Mac I've ever purchased!

ajaan

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
And closing the lid of the M1 Air and reopening doesn't help when connected to an external monitor, as I discovered last night. You have to disconnect your external, then close the lid and reopen.

Seems totally random, sometimes a couple of days will go past until it happens again.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Hit command space, type Feedback and report the bug ? probably already fixed as you type though

SiliconSquare

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Hi, i have a problem like this:

Screensaver is turning on on my M1 air randomly, and to turn it off I must close the lid and open it again. Screensaver is disabled in settings. Anyone with similar problem?

Thanks!
Same here. Keyboard input doesn't work, though, I discovered hitting the fingerprint button to bring up the login options and switching users and back as a workaround. Disabled default settings to try and mitigate it, seems to have helped but not eliminated the problem. M1 MacBook Air

ajaan

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
Hit command space, type Feedback and report the bug ? probably already fixed as you type though
It happened again to me, just as I opened up this thread and saw this message. Right on time. Twice today so far, no apparent time limit, seems random.

However, when I look at 'screensaver' in system preferences the whole setting is now a blanck 'page' with nothing on it. The settings for screen saver have vanished. See attached image.

Anyone else checked this who has this same problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 21.50.11.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 21.50.11.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 343

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I send You all a video. Screensaver set to never, no hot corners. Tried to change settings multiple times, rebooted. Only software installed Is Messenger and MS Teams. Beside that, system is clean (only system apps) (But this happened before installing 2 mentioned apps also). Its ******* annoying. Had couple of Macs, this is the first one to have issue like that.

I would be very frustrated with that bug as well. I have been considering getting a new M1 Air and seeing this bug from so many people has me putting this possible idea on hold until i see differently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.