Screensaver causing spike in temp and fan

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Böhme417, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Böhme417 macrumors 6502a

Since installing 10.13, I've noticed that the fan on my MBP starts shortly after the screensaver activates. This is very unusual, considering my fan almost never came on under 10.12. I thought it may have just been a fan issue, so I did an SMC reset. That didn't fix it. So, today, I started testing it to see what the deal is. I'd invoke the screensaver and then check the temp and CPU usage. The results were pretty consistent each time. When I'd activate the screensaver, the temp would steadily rise to 100 °C, kicking the fan on. Oddly enough, though, the CPU usage stayed below 5%. What is going on here?

2. chabig macrumors 603

It sounds like you need to quit using that screensaver.

3. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Oh yeah I've had this issue for ever with the default screensavers. I just stopped using them. Really annoying

4. Böhme417 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don’t understand why High Sierra would suddenly cause this to happen. I’ve been using the same screensaver (arabesque) for years without issue.

5. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I just tried it again and I also had 100+ CPU usage. Even the screensaver Preference panel being opened caused high cpu after a minute! Something is broken that's for sure

6. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Which screensaver you are using?

Since you said the CPU usage is actually below 5%. I suspect it's actually stressing the iGPU which cause the high temperature.

7. Böhme417 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am (was) using the arabesque screensaver. I tried the flurry screensaver with the same result, so now I’ve changed it to no screensaver. I hope this is resolved in 10.13.1. I really don’t want to have to wipe and reinstall to fix something so stupid.

8. mrcat macrumors newbie

Have you tried the flip clock screensaver? nice and doesn't seem to cause me any problems on a mac mini.
    http://fliqlo.com/#about