Screensaver causing the fan to go nuts?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Split98, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Split98 macrumors newbie

Sorry in advance if this has already been brought up, I wasn't able to find anything.

Besides things like YouTube, and simple flash games maxing out both cores and causing my fan to start blowing at max... screensavers also cause my MacBook's fan to go nuts.

Is this just an issue with the MacBooks design... or something I should be fixing?

Both me and my girlfriend have the exact same issue. Both of us have GMA X3100 graphics, and this happens with every screensaver.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Things like youtube and flash will heat your MacBook up causing the fans to come on occasionally. I dont think your fans should be running while the screen save is on tho!?
    Maybe check your activity monitor to see if you can find anything unusual using a lot of your CPU power.

3. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

What screensaver are you using? Some of the cooler/trippier ones use mad amounts of CPU to draw themselves, so your fans are not surprising. That being said, if you screensaver is a picture or something, it shouldn't do that, meaning you may have some other issues...

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Flash uses a lot of processing power.

Try firefox and see if it makes any difference with flash.

Well made screensavers usually only take very minimal amount of processor power.
    Try a different one.

5. Split98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, thanks a ton for all the input already.

The current screensaver I'm using is the Word of the Day one, just because I thought it was the most minimal one possible. The other minimal one I've tried was Polar Clock (absolutely awesome btw, check it out). Both max out the fan speed (~5000RPM) within a minute or two of use. There seems to be no correlation between which screensaver I'm using to when or how often the fan goes nuts.

With the flash issues, I've had the same problems with Safari (and Safari 4 now), Firefox, and Stainless.

For the Activity Monitor, I haven't seen anything unusual... and the same thing is happening on my girlfriends computer which barely has anything installed on it.