Screensaver doesn't work on imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JasonMovieGuy, Feb 21, 2010.

1. JasonMovieGuy macrumors regular

I have the new 21.5 imac-

Everything is working fine, but I have it set to start the screensaver at 15 minutes. Every time I leave the house and come back, the computer screen is still on. No screensaver is evident. I even try to put it to sleep sometimes, and it will go to sleep and then wake up abruptly. Why is this happening? And is it bad to have the screensaver not work? Can it mess up my computer? I'm thinking about shutting off the machine when I'm not at home, but I have been advised that its better to put it to sleep.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

I think there is an issue with sleep that will (hopefully) be fixed by 10.6.3. Mine sort of oscillates between sleeping on it's own and not sleeping. I usually have to put it to sleep manually; never had any issues with that, though.

3. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

When you select System Preferences/Desktop and Screen Saver select Screen Saver and click test does it work?

Check your energy saver settings in system preference to make sure the screen saver is allow time to work.

I've seen some wireless devices that when plugged in would not allow the Mac to activate the screen saver after a certain amount of inactivity.

4. JasonMovieGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes when I test the screensaver, it works. And occasionally will start on the computer. But usually not.

And if my screensaver isn't getting activated, will this mess up my LED?