screensaver help please!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Taeyeonist, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Taeyeonist, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

Taeyeonist macrumors newbie

Hi, I am a new mac user, using a 2011 MacBook Pro 13", OSX Lion.
    Recently, i downloaded and installed a third party screensaver, but it does not work the way i want it to.

1.It cannot be activated via Hot Corners, no matter which corner i use, neither can it work after 3 mins of inactivity, which is my current setting under system preferences. By this, I mean that the screensaver crashes in less than 5 seconds, and brings me right back to the desktop. But as I've ticked the show clock option, the digital clock does appear on a black background, for about 1-2 seconds.

2. The preview screen on the settings app, while usually showing a preview image for preloaded screensavers, comes out black for this particular one..

3. Using the "Test" option on the settings app, the screensaver works perfectly.

4. Strangely enough, locking the screen using "Keychain Access" calls up the screensaver, as a login background, although it disappears after awhile, unlike the windows version, where it runs continuously.

5. Only the third party screensaver does not work, the preloaded ones do. However, I am inclined to believe that this shldnt be a compatibility issue? If it was plain incompatible, why is the screensaver working through "Keychain Access" and using the "Test" function?

Additional information: the screensaver is by Daum, a korean search company.

Please advise me on what are the possible troubleshooting methods i can try! Any assistance you can offer is greatly greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would complain to the developer that their screensaver does not work in Lion. Parts of it working with other parts broken is not an indication of "compatibility." The test function is launching the screensaver differently than it would be launched due to inactivity. Lion changed a lot of things dealing with the screen, one of which was screen sharing which definitely affects the way screensavers work. See if they have an updated version of the screensaver available for download.

3. Taeyeonist thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ****, then i think im screwed coz the developer clearly isnt supporting the screensaver anymore, it was released ages ago.. i got my mac late.

Besides downgrading to Snow Leopard, is there anyway to revert the way Lion handles screensavers to the Snow Leopard method? I do not foresee myself ever needing or using the screen sharing feature... Or is there anything else u can suggest? Much appreciated!

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I can't imagine a situation where a screensaver would dictate my OS preference. Screensavers were originally designed to prevent "burn in" of old fashioned CRT tubes. They are completely useless for LCD and LED displays (as far as their stated purpose of "saving" the display) because LCD and LED displays no longer need any "saving".

My suggestion is in the category of "anything else". I suggest you delete the offending unsupported software before you consider reverting to an older version of OSX.

5. Taeyeonist thread starter macrumors newbie

it's too much trouble for me to downgrade to snow leopard:/ oh well, screw the screensaver then. but keeping it in my macbook is unlikely to spoil anything right?:eek: