Screensaver kicks in while the computer in use

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ///M5, Jul 2, 2011.

1. ///M5, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

///M5 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Finally upgraded to Lion GM. So far so good.

I'm facing one annoying issue; the screensaver seems to kick in even if the computer is in use. It seems to happen frequently especially when i'm using vmware. It also happens sometimes when i'm using Lion itself. It's really frustrating.

Anybody else having this issue? Is there anything I need to clear in order to fix this?

Cheers.

Edit: just happened while using Safari in Lion.

2. gregcube macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the same behaviour - at random times the screensaver kicks on. Just upgraded to Lion yesterday. Not sure what the deal is.

3. puercaeli macrumors regular

Just installed about 24 hours ago.

I am having random sleep issue as well. Basically it goes to sleep after set time(in screen saver menu) regardless of the use. Glad I am not the only one.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

What troubleshooting has anyone done?
    Delete the .plist file from preferences, and the one in ByHost?

5. puercaeli macrumors regular

I was thinking along that line too. But was not really sure if that would fix the problem seeing that the cause of the problem is system not being able to detect difference between computer being used and not used.

Still would love to know what .plist file you have tried deleting..

Temporary measure is too put the screen saver activation time near 'never' and it does not kick in as often.

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I don't have the problem but since it was the screensaver I thought deleting those preferences might help. Just look for any screensaver.plist

7. solmaker macrumors member

Solution

Same thing happened to me after installing Lion on my 2010 MBP. After reading the following and uninstalling AirDisplay, the problem completely went away.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3196281

AgileBits, makers of 1Password reports: "The general class of application that provides any kind of video drivers for screen sharing, supports remote devices or computers as “monitors”, etc. has been identified as needing to either be updated for Lion, or temporarily removed from your system if the software vendor hasn’t yet gotten a compatible update ready."

It appears to be the result of specific apps, including AirDisplay, LaunchBar, and DisplayPad. I was using AirDisplay.

I just uninstalled AirDisplay (via the uninstall script) and rebooted and the screensaver problem has completely been fixed. Thank goodness.