Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyergs

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
CT
I've owned my brand new PM for about 2 weeks now and I've caught atleast 3 instances where the screensaver hasn't kicked in. All of these times I would not shutdown, and return two hours later to find the desktop still on.

My screensaver is set to go off after 20 minutes of inactivity.

Is there any reason for this. And no I don't have a cat, I don't live in an area with earthquakes and the house is't haunted.

Thanks.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
billyergs said:
I've owned my brand new PM for about 2 weeks now and I've caught atleast 3 instances where the screensaver hasn't kicked in. All of these times I would not shutdown, and return two hours later to find the desktop still on.

My screensaver is set to go off after 20 minutes of inactivity.

Is there any reason for this. And no I don't have a cat, I don't live in an area with earthquakes and the house is't haunted.

Thanks.

I had a similar problem the other day with my PB. I had not restarted in perhaps 1.5 weeks (just sleep on way to/from work and at night) and one day I come back from trip to the model shop (40 minutes) and find that my screen is still on. It didn't go to sleep as I have it set not to on AC power. I did my bi-weekly (whenever I remember) maintenance, repaired permissions, cleaned up old files, etc etc and then restarted, having done a lot of things. PB comes back up, screen saver works fine when I leave it and has worked fine for the last week now too. Not sure if there is an issue or if perhaps the computer just gets a little confused now and then :p

sourcemonkey

macrumors regular
Hugh Jass said:
I had this problem. Turns out it was my hamster!

you let your hamster roam freely around your house? i adopted a 'mi casa es su casa' policy with a pet rat i once had. bad idea, but crazy. every time i'd come home from uni it used to scamper out from wherever it was hanging out (usually behind the fridge), jump up on my chest and onto my shoulder - they can REALLY jump high, crazy. sorry if this is off topic, i'm feeling sentimental tonight and 'hugh jass's issue' triggered the memory.

sorry i can't personally help billyergs. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.