Screensaver Overriding iTunes Visualizer, Hulu, etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thebreadking, Sep 4, 2010.

1. thebreadking macrumors member

Wasn't sure if this was more appropriate here on in the Mac OS X forum, but I've been having a problem with the screensaver on my March '09 mini (2.0ghz, 4Gb RAM, Snow Leopard w/ current updates).

Just recently, I've found that the screensaver turn on over programs that used to override it. For example, if I'm running iTunes and one of the visualizers full-screen, the screensaver will turn on after the given amount of time in the settings has passed, when previously the visualizer would override the screensaver turning on and could run practically endlessly.

This same feature happens with the Hulu desktop app and full-screen video from television network sites (FOX, ABC, etc.), again, where it didn't previously.

I can't recall when exactly it started, but its been wonky like this for a little while. I've tried changing the screensaver, settings, repairing permissions, looking for possibly unchecked boxes that indicate "disable screensaver" in Hulu and iTunes...all to no avail.

Hopefully someone browsing has had a similar problems (and fixed it), or knows off-hand where the problem may lay. Any help is appreciated; thanks!

2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

This just started happening to me as well. Figured it was something with iTunes 10, I've only noticed it since I upgraded to that.

If anyone finds a solution, pass it on!

3. MarkQ macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to iTunes 10 today and am having the same thing happen...interesting. I didn't find anything obvious in any preferences, but then again, I am not exactly a computer scientist :confused:

4. pbeargirl macrumors newbie

Power cord melting too

I'm having the same issue since upgrading to iTunes 10 on my 2006 MacBook. Additionally, I can hear the hard drive powering up while iTunes is running and it's heating up my power cord near the part that plugs into the computer enough to melt away the plastic and expose the wires underneath. A more complex issue with iTunes, perhaps? Hope it gets solved soon!

5. vladinecko macrumors member

this is definitely a version 10 issue. happening to me as well. should be an easy fix for them, if/when they get around to fixing it.

also, hitting ESC no longer exits the visualizer, it merely embeds it in itunes' window. gotta hit ESC twice or cmd+T to exit completely.

6. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

This isn't a fix, but a work around. Go to the Screen Savers Control panel, and click on Hot Corners. This will allow you to pick corners of your screen to stop and start the screen saver. Just pick a corner and pick 'Disable Screen Saver' and close.

Now when you are watching something move your mouse to that corner, this should stop the screen saver from coming on.

I had to do this because every time I would watch Netflix the screen saver would come on and, I don't have iTunes 10. So this work around may not work if iTunes 10 being funky. :/

Hugh