Screensaver Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dave Braine, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If I play a video file in full screen, the Screensaver doesn't come on. If I play a video file in it's own window, the Screensaver comes on at the set time.

Why does it come on with the video playing in a window and when it doesn't in full screen?

2. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

It's a power-saving technique that the OS does. You can disable the screensaver in the Energy Settings Preference Pane or use an app like Caffeine to keep your screen on. Of course, do so at your own risk for leaving your screen on for long periods of time can decrease the lifespan.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

If it's a power-management assertion, then try this in Terminal, when it's playing videos, windowed and full-screen:
    Code:
    pmset -g assertions
    You could setup a shell script to run it periodically, logging to a file, then look at what changes.

4. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I'm not interested in stopping the Screensaver from activating, I'm just wondering why it doesn't come on when watching a video file in Full Screen, but does when watching it in a window. The same computer activity is happening, so what stops it triggering in Full Screen? Or, why does it trigger when watching in a window?

5. chown33, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016

chown33 macrumors 604

I think screensaver activation is triggered by Power Management (PM). The command that interfaces to PM is 'pmset', and several things are controlled by assertions.

Brief article from 2012 on "power assertions":
    http://mikeabdullah.net/power-assertions.html

So if there's a PM assertion that prevents the PM from issuing triggers (events or whatever), then the presence or absence of the PM assertion will lead to differences in screensaver activity. That's why I suggested listing the PM assertions with 'pmset', while running in both modes, and comparing the lists. If there's no difference, then it's something other than a PM assertion, but finding out what PM is doing is a simple and obvious place to start.

I mention PM because I'm almost certain that the 'caffeinate' command creates a PM assertion, or activates 'noidle'. Indeed, the man page for pmset says to use 'caffeinate' in place of the 'noidle' argument.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Yes. I edited my post.

8. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

And how can that be done when watching in Full Screen mode? :D

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Put it in a shell script that loops. Once a minute would be fine (sleep 60).

Run the script in a Terminal window, then hide Terminal. The script will continue to run.