Screensaver showing password

Newbie2MacLL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
My screensaver changed on it's own showing my PASSWORD in 3" letters/numbers. No one has access to my computer. I am new to MAC and shocked. Not only did the screensaver change on it's on but shows my password, terribly upsetting.

Honza1

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
US
Sounds like someone “smart” is playing joke on you. In Preferences check the screensaver settings and at least diable the screen saver. And find the joker, macOS will not do this on its own. Without more details itis not possible to guess ifthis is remote or local joke.
if you have Apple store nearby, theywill help you for free with something like this.

Reactions: Newbie2MacLL

Newbie2MacLL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
Sounds like someone “smart” is playing joke on you. In Preferences check the screensaver settings and at least diable the screen saver. And find the joker, macOS will not do this on its own. Without more details itis not possible to guess ifthis is remote or local joke.
if you have Apple store nearby, theywill help you for free with something like this.
This makes me very nervous. I bought a used Mac from a reputable store. Your reply is my worst fear. What more do you need to know? Will the Apple store assist if I didn’t buy my Mac new?
- - Post merged: - -

This makes me very nervous. I bought a used Mac from a reputable store. Your reply is my worst fear. What more do you need to know? Will the Apple store assist if I didn’t buy my Mac new?
What is a local joke vs Joker? No one has access to my physical laptop.

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
1. Change your password
2. Go to screensaver settings and remove the text from the currently selected screensaver
3. Relax.

Joe

Newbie2MacLL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
You entered the password in the screen saver message option in the preferences thinking the dialog box asked for your password.
I would REALLLLLY like to think that is it but I’ve not messed with the screen saver yet, just bought my Mac a week ago.