Screensaver Stops/Slow Downs on Wife's Profile

Discussion in 'macOS' started by musicforme, Dec 11, 2008.

1. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

Ok, I'm stumped on this one. I did a search on Google and can't find anything.

My wife uses the screen saver that "drops" the photos that are specified from a particular folder. She's used this screen saver for the past 11 months and never had a problem with it.

In the past couple of days when the screen saver kicks in, the photos never "drop" or are extremely slow. I checked her settings in System Preferences and the photos in the small window are even slow there. The System Preferences even beachballs when you try to make any changes, but eventually does allow user control.

I switched my profile to the same screen saver using the same shared folder of pictures and it works fine for me. I tried logging off her account and back in and her profile still has the same problems and no applications are running.

We're running 10.5.5 on an Early 2008 Mac Pro with 6 GB of ram. Any suggestions?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Have you updated or run iPhoto on it recently?

3. musicforme thread starter macrumors member

musicforme

We run iPhoto on a pretty regular basis, but more so under my profile and not hers. The folder where the photos referenced by the screensaver are not in the same folder where the iPhoto datbase is stored.

I checked iPhoto and we're running version 7.1.5 (378).

4. musicforme thread starter macrumors member

musicforme

Thought I'd come back and update this in case this shows up in a future search of the forum.

It turned out ANY screensaver on my wife's profile had the same problem. For whatever reason, running the combo update to 10.5.6 fixed the problem.