Screensaver trouble

Discussion in 'iMac' started by digipeter, Mar 30, 2012.

1. digipeter macrumors member

The 'iTunes-illustrations' item as screensaver choice on my iMac 10.6.8 is suddenly not working properly: on a black screen it displays the warning "Your iTunes-bib has no numbers with album illustrations", although iTunes itself displays on selection all illustrations of albums and songs.

Nothing special happened, besides downloading music I got by a gift card, using MacKeeper ('malware' as I read somewhere?) incidentally, and installing Apple's most recent updates. Mac's own help- function did not help.

Any idea how this happened and - of course - what to do?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I highly recommend you uninstall MacKeeper. You absolutely don't need it and it can cause problems on your system.

As for its malware function, you don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. If you practice safe computing, the only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security. Leave this unchecked until you visit a trusted site that requires Java, then re-enable only for your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Check your DNS settings by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have physical access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any virus, trojan, spyware, keylogger, or other malware. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.

As for MacKeeper's other functions, you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Still incorrect. Read the whole article.

Relevant quote:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I did read it. It's not incorrect. You install it by opening the document, the same way you install any trojan. That's the way trojans work. They trick you into installing them.

5. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

That's why they are even called Trojans, too.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Um... no. You are saying the trojan has to be "actively installed" and that is not the case. The simple process of opening a Word doc or just going to a web site can install the trojan. How can you possibly sit there and say that is "actively installing" anything. I'm not going to go back on forth with you on this, but no way in the world would anybody consider opening a web page "actively installing" anything.

You are doing a disservice by continuing to post this inaccurate information in light of the new trojan information I linked.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That IS actively installing it. It requires user action, in this case opening a Word doc, to install the trojan, unlike a virus, which requires no action on the part of the user for it to spread.

8. digipeter thread starter macrumors member

GGJstudios,
    Thanks for your swift reaction.

First I have to confirm I myself only install Apple software, but it happens my grandchildren use the iMac to play games sometimes...

Now, I did what you recommended, except the uninstalling of MacKeeper for the moment (I presumed it was the safe program as recommended by its own 'pop-up' advise), as I paid for it.

Nevertheless my trouble persists.

Can you remind me how to put screenshots of the problem within this message board? I do not succeed in putting them in this form by 'cut-and-paste', although I remember I have done it in the past.

Peter

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you truly want to communicate to new users the real danger here, you should reword your post. In spite of what you might like to think, users are not going to think going to a web site or opening a Word doc is "actively installing" anything. Set aside your disagreement with me and read this coming as a new user to the site.

/

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here's how you take a screen shot and post it.

11. digipeter thread starter macrumors member

GGJstudios,
    In attachment the 2 screenshots, the one above from iMac's screensaver and the second from iTunes itself.

Thanks for your attention,
    digipeter

Attached Files:

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even though some refer to an older version of iTunes, there are several proposed solutions in these threads that worked for some others. Hopefully, one will work for you:

iTunes Artwork Screensaver no longer works after iTunes Match
    Album Art screensaver won't work...: Apple Support Communities
    itunes artwork screensaver not working: Apple Support Communities

13. digipeter thread starter macrumors member

Problem solved

GGJstudios,

Eureka!
    Comparing with saved data on my external HD, I observed that the white map 'iTunes Library' figured in the blue map 'iPod Games'. Transferring it to the proper blue iTunes' map (as it was on the external HD) did the trick. Now I all illustrations are back in screensaver action.

Thanks a lot for your attention and assistance.

Now, concerning your advise on uninstalling MacKeeper.
    I trusted this 3rd party software -thus buying it - especially because its pop-up advertisement appeared, and still does at this moment (!), next to the headlines of MacRumors itself warning "Is your Mac running slow? Speed it up with MacKeeper".
    This mention on trusted MacRumors is rather odd if it's malware indeed; therefore I never suspected it as a not so reputable program.
    Anyway I only uses it for diagnostic reasons and to 'shredder' what I wish to uninstall, as Mac Keeper claims it gets rid of all "hidden" items.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MacKeeper is infamous for flooding the web with their ads, making claims that are false and misleading. The fact that an ad appears on this site does not give it any credibility. As stated in the Forum FAQ regarding advertisements on this site:
    It's not technically malware. Many forum members consider it as such because it fails to do what it claims it can do and it can cause more harm than good. It's simply useless and not recommended. Search the forum for "MacKeeper" and you'll find many threads where this has been discussed extensively.
    For diagnostic or specific troubleshooting, OnyX is a much better choice. It is reliable, highly recommended and free. As for uninstalling apps, in most cases, app removal software such as MacKeeper does not do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion: