ScreenSaverEngine glitchey?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lorductape, Dec 1, 2007.

1. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

I use a quicksilver keyboard shortcut to activate screensaverengine, because I have to lock the screen every time I walk away from the computer and the hot corners simply don't work reliably. However, since I upgraded to leopard, the screen saver (only on the main screen) has become very glitchy, flickering between images no matter which built-in apple saver I use. (I do not have any third party savers installed.) when I move the mouse or press a key, the password box pops up over the screen saver, then a few seconds later, the screen saver disappears, but I have to click in the password box, it isn't automatically selected as it sometimes is/always used to be.

2. drhayes macrumors newbie

Exact same problem!

You have exactly described my situation to a T: Using Quicksilver to lock my screen, screen saver gets glitchy and flashes between images on every screen saver I have, password box appears on top of screen saver... everything!

The other thing I'd add is that the ScreenSaverEngine process starts to eat up CPU and make my laptop run pretty hot at the same time.

I'm not seeing any dumps or weird looking logs... I have no clue what's going on.

It happens to me when I don't lock my screen, incidentally... what gives?

3. drhayes macrumors newbie

Update!

When I adjusted my energy settings to "Normal" this problem went away -- mostly because my display sleeps before my screen saver has a chance to go wonky. That's my solution for now. / =

4. lorductape thread starter macrumors 6502

lorductape

looking back at my old posts, i figured it out. can't have screensaver come on automatically after x minutes if you're manualy activating screensaver engine.