screensavers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macgic, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Macgic macrumors 6502

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

There honestly aren't a lot of good screen savers out there for OS X. The place I go is Apple's website.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Do you really need a screen saver anymore. I would think they do more harm then good with lcd's

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

They're pretty. Your mac deserves to feel fabulous.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Won't they wear out the backlight faster?

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I only keep my screen saver on for 5 minutes then the monitor turns off. It is also a useful feature for security reasons (faster to put a screen saver on then put the thing to sleep and waking it up again). Yeah, not always applicable but useful in some areas. Overall I wouldn't say it would put significant usage on the back light if you're being reasonable.

7. Macgic thread starter macrumors 6502

I downloaded a program from apple called wallsaver that makes your screen-saver your desktop. just thought it would be cool to have one.

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Believe this or not LCDs can actually suffer a version of "static image burn-in" something about the liquid crystal developing a voltage bias when left on a static image for a long period of time. Happened to the smell workstation at my old job. (auto-log out after 5 min inactivity for security purposes - and it displayed the windows log-in screen - indefinitely) Which, upon logging in, you could still read the text from the log-in screen on bright images.

That said, I have Desksaver Plus - which is the widget that I think preceded wallsaver - (does the same thing) And my favorite screen savers:

Abaraesque (Leopard)
    Flurry (Leopard)
    Shell (Leopard)
    Anemona (apple.com downloads)
    Filigree (don't remember, sorry)
    Soundstream (apple.com downloads)
    And Scattered Flurries (apple.com downloads) - set up to project over my current desktop image. Use that with the Strange World II picture, with the wind feature activated in the saver - and the Blimps appear to be moving through the clouds. Messes with my eyes - in a fun way.

All of those seem to play well with anything going on my iMac. (no slow-downs or jittery screen savers)

9. Macgic thread starter macrumors 6502

How you do put a desktop to it?

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Just go into your screen saver preferences - and click the options tab for Scattered Flurries - and set the option for desktop image. Then start Desk Saver or Wall Saver.

Here:

Attached Files: