screenshare outside the same network??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tongteh, May 9, 2009.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

is it possible for me to screen share with my PC even when i am outside of my home network??

cause currently i am using jaadu connect on my pc, and apparently i could screen share with my PC simply by typing host ip address[i.e. 192.168.0.2]. Note: I don't think jaadu connect is really needed for me to connect screen share with my pc, not sure though.

my ultimate goal is to be able to view my PC(running at home), when i am out in uni, work, or anywhere else.. possible? instruction would be much appreciated.. :)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

If you struggle with ssh or you really don't like opening a port on your router to let traffic in, check out logmein.com

You can sign up for the free version of the service, install the agent on your machine which makes an outbound connection to their service. You can then access your desktop from any web browser.

With no exposed port it's a lot harder to target your machine. However you are entrusting that this company is doing everything to keep hackers out of their systems. I've used the free service for the last 18 months without issue and found it extremely useful as it's both Mac and PC.

M.

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

5. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm, i read thru a little of those, but it all seems mac to mac, instead of mac to pc.. :(

looks similar teamviewer, but somehow i think teamviewer looks more promising.. :p

thanks.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I love using Yuuguu. It is free and works cross platform without complication. :)

7. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

tried yuuguu, it think its good for friends sharing but doesnt suit me.. i want to screenshare with myself.. :) like i said, i need to access my PC at home while i am out. but yuuguu needs someone to physically accept the screen share and accept the control permission. :(

intend to try on logmein, however couldn't find the free version after 10mins.. :( give up.. :p

EDIT: OPPS.. just found it.. trying it now

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It can be applied to Windows as well. I've done it a number of times.

9. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

:O i will read thru it again then.. :D thanks.. but that teamviewer is really arent that good, tested it and had it crashed on me several times.. logmein seems to be very good tho..

10. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I use LogMeIn. I love it.

11. GregE macrumors 6502

I use VNC to connect to my PC at work from my iMac. I also use it to connect to my iMac from my PC at work. I have also used it to connect from PC to PC and from Mac to Mac so any combination will work. I do have a VPN connection between work and home. All ways work great.

Greg