Screenshot and disabling faceID, same actions?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Renho, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

I heard the new way to screenshot on the iPhone X is to hit the power button and volume button at the same time. Now i am reading to temp disable face ID you do the same action power button+volume. So which one is it? and if its the same but for face id disable you hold it longer that is going to be a mess....

2. mdlyen macrumors member

Per Craig Federighi on The Talk Show, when you push both buttons to disable FaceID, you get a screenshot to commemorate the event. :)

3. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

bahahaa First they take away my reachability now they have the same action for 2 different things! jesus....

4. blindside217 macrumors regular

He said that the screen shot is done with a quick press of the two buttons and the SOS mode is by holding them for 2-3 seconds. In the current build, when triggering SOS, it also creates the screen shot. He mentioned that might change before it ships.

5. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

which is going to create a mess i can just see it now...Not all iphone people are smart...lol..

6. mdlyen macrumors member

Two things:

1. If you are a developer and understand events and event driven programming, you would understand what is going on here.

2. How often are you planning on needing to disable FaceID? I doubt it will be a major problem, even if they leave it the way it is (which will probably change soon after release).

7. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

Everybody will use screenshot is what I am saying. Just using the same action for 2 different thibgs doesn’t seem like a good ideaa regardless if it’s a seconds later Press..

8. mdlyen macrumors member

I guess I'm not understanding the problem. A short press of both buttons will produce a screen shot. If you hold it a little longer, then you will get a screenshot (because of the short press) and disable FaceID (because of the long press). Most people wanting a screen shot will get a screen shot and nothing will have changed. If you want to disable FaceID, then you will get a screen shot as a byproduct (which may not be ideal, but also not a major issue).

9. adampk17 macrumors member

adampk17

Calm down people. This is a minor thing that Apple said that they're going to look at and fix

10. mdlyen macrumors member

People? The OP was the only person saying there was a problem.

11. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

I know a lot of iPhone users that
    I’m saying a lot of people are going to get confused. You have to understand not all iPhone users even know how to use half of the tech in it. Lol my mom for instance I can see screwing it up...For us it’s an easy thing to do...

12. matty.p macrumors 6502

You use the same button to turn off your phone and put it to sleep. One you have to hold down for several seconds. One you just press. It’s the same idea here.

13. HylianKnight macrumors regular

They’ve already said they will find another way