Screenshot Capturing Software (FREE)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by starfake, Feb 21, 2008.

1. starfake macrumors newbie

Does anybody know free software to make screenshots (including scrollable pages). Like Faststone Capture for Windows, but FREE.
    Tried to use SnapNDrag (www.yellowmug.com), but it can't make scrollable (((

Thanks in advance.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't exactly understand what Faststone does... it lets you capture a screenshot in which you can scroll inside scrollable onscreen windows? What kind of software do you need to be able to view such an image -- I don't think it could be a standard jpg, png, etc? Can you please give an example of when you'd use that?

Also just to mention... there is screen-capturing built into OS X...

http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

But not with scrolling windows. What most of us do when we want a capture of, say, a webpage is to just print it to PDF. You can make a PDF of anything you can print in OS X quite easily, by going to the print dialog and hitting the save as PDF button....

3. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Skitch is pretty cool. Can edit the shot once you've taken it too.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oooh, yes, I forgot to mention Skitch. I love it too... :) Although it doesn't do this scrolling windows thing.

5. skoops macrumors regular

6. starfake thread starter macrumors newbie

mkrishnan,
    scrollable is for example if you have a webpage, that doesn't actually fit the screen, the screenshot will be just loooonger (not 1280x800, but 1280x2000 for example).
    Built-in screencapturing is cool, but still not enough. Will try paparazzi and skitch.

Let's see if they have these features.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sounds like this paparazzi tool can do what you want (Skitch can't). But I still don't see why it would be preferable to making a PDF of the page? It seems to me that a PDF printout of a webpage that's ... 15,000 pixels tall... is a lot more manageable than a 15,000 pixel tall image file.

Not to mention that in the PDF, you can actually copy out text, etc...

8. skoops macrumors regular

PDFs are resized to fit the page width and you get a header/footer line on each page which disrupts the page-flow.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True, those are good points. Hope paparazzi does what you want. :)

10. starfake thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try something like "Abduction" for Firefox/Netscape Navigator (I've not tried the latest version, I'm still on the old "Save As Image"-version, upgrading now). That will do the job also behind logins and such, ie. pages where Paparazzi won't be able to get to... :)

12. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Would the Grab application in Utilities help at all?

13. btessler macrumors newbie

screen captures not sufficient

I too am a HUGE fan of Faststone capture for Windows, and I haven't found anything remotely close for Mac. The scrolling feature works for ANY open window, not just web sites. It could be an image, or a long spreadsheet page, etc. But the ability to capture a long screen is just one of MANY features that I can't find in any Mac program. The captured image can easily be saved in many formats, emailed, printed, AND edited - there are tools specifically designed to allow you (with great ease) to add arrows and text to the screen shot - very useful, for example, to make a screen shot into a teaching example.

You can also capture a free form shape, and there are a couple of other handy utilities like a color picker and a screen ruler.

The Mac software I've seen so far is designed either to capture a VIDEO, or just grab an entire screen or box as an image, end of story. Is there anything out there maybe I've overlooked? Thanks

BT