Screenshot Help please !!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zakko1999, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Zakko1999 macrumors newbie

When I go to open a screenshot that I had taken: Coloursync Utility tells me that the file cannot be opened. The thing is that a week ago I opened screenshots succesfully !

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version do you have and with what application do you want to open the screenshot?
    Did you take the screenshot the usual way via Grab or keyboard shortcuts?
    Can you still open other screenshots or newly created ones?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you take a screen shot using this method, it should open in any image app.
    Taking Screenshots in Mac OS X

4. Zakko1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use Mac OSX 10.5.8 and I did the screenshot via command+shift+3. I can open older screenshots

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What file extension do your screen shots have? Is it different than it used to be?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Run the below command in Terminal to set the screen shot format to JPG, then take a new screen shot and see if you can view it.

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg

7. dakwar macrumors 6502

Your screenshot is and should continue to be in .png format. ...

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png
    You should open your screenshots with Preview (in /Applications folder).

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I realize the default is PNG, and asked him to change it to JPG (which won't harm anything) to see if that would get it to a state he could view caps.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Screenshots don't have to be in .png format. You can change the format and the destination folder to suit your preferences, either through Terminal commands or through apps or preference panes like Secrets.

10. desertman macrumors 6502a

OS X sometimes changes for strange reasons the default application that is to be used for certain files or file types. It also sometimes happened to me that suddenly ColorSync Utility wanted to open files that have nothing to do with it and could, of course, not be opened by it.

To fix this follow these steps:

1. Find one of the new screen shot files that want to be opened by ColorSync Utility and click onto it once (not twice!) so that it is highlighted.

2. While being in the Finder press Command + i (= Get Info) and a small window with some file information will open.

3. In this window - under "Open with:" - where it now should say "ColorSync Utility" click onto the word "ColorSync Utility" and choose "Preview" from the list of applications.

4. Underneath of this click onto "Change all..." and confirm this by clicking onto "Continue" in the dialog window that opens.

5. Close the Get Info window.

When you now double-click onto the screen shot file it should open again with Preview.

Please let me know whether this worked for you.

PS: This is pretty much independent from your screen shot format. Very most likely your screen shot format is PNG and there is no need to change that.

11. Zakko1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ desertman Thanks you helped very much although I didn't find Preview I changed it to Quicktime player thx to all

12. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried using Finder > CMD+F to look for it like shown below?

To find system files via Finder, that can't be found via Spotlight:

If Preview has been deleted, maybe post your Mac OS X version and someone kind enough will upload it or you look for the "I accidentally deleted Preview thread", where someone might have posted the correct version or you can use to post your Mac OS X version and get it there.