Screenshot Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ring, Jun 5, 2012.

1. ring macrumors regular

Hi;

I am looking for a piece of software / a terminal command / something to change the way screenshots work on OSX.

I want one copy of the screenshot to be saved to the desktop for quick use, and another to be saved to a folder called 'Screenshots" for further archiving and backup..

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Love, Ring
    :apple:

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Why not just have them clipped to the desktop using the standard mechanism... and then when you are done looking at them there, move them to your archive folder instead of deleting them?

/Jim

3. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

First change the default location of where your screenshots are normally saved. Default location is the Desktop. Create a folder Screens or whatever you like to name it and run the following commands in the Terminal application :

In my example I created a folder Screenshots on the Desktop, change it to the folder you created. Test is my username so change that as well!

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/test/Desktop/Screenshots
    killall SystemUIServer
    The screenshots will now be saved in the new default location eg in my case the folder Screenshots. Create a new folder for your backups eg in my case a folder ScreenshotsBackup on the Desktop.

Create a folder action and attach it to the new default folder eg in my case the folder Screenshots.

Folder action code :

Code:
    on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
    	--change the following line to where your ScreenshotsBackup folder is located
    	-- eg "Macintosh HD:Users:yourusername:"
    	-- As you can see in my case it's a folder ScreenshotsBackup on the Desktop
    	set theDuplicateFolder to "LeopardFirewire:Users:test:Desktop:ScreenshotsBackup:"
    	--set theDuplicateFolder to (path to desktop as text) & "ScreenshotsBackup:"
    	repeat with i from 1 to number of items in these_items
    		set this_item to item i of these_items
    		tell application "Finder"
    			duplicate this_item to theDuplicateFolder
    		end tell
    	end repeat
    end adding folder items to

Any screenshot you make will be duplicated to the backup folder.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can also select the default location and file type for screen captures with Secrets.

5. ring thread starter macrumors regular

I am having trouble with the first command.

I type

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/Jedi/My Images & Videos/Default-SS-Area
    and get this pain in the ass error (I'm assuming because of the spaces, or some nonsense like that). And I'm not exactly sure how to fix it.

The error is:

Code:
    MY-iMac:~ Jedi$ 2012-06-06 18:19:18.958 defaults[488:707] Unexpected argument Images; leaving defaults unchanged.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

6. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Put the path with the spaces in single quotes:

/Users/Jedi/'My Images & Videos'/Default-SS-Area

7. ring, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

ring thread starter macrumors regular

I got it working; but there was a delay. So I kept the default on the desktop, and switched the backup folder. Now the only issue is it copys any new file, not just screenshots or images.

Oh well, I'll deal with it

Thanks

8. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

Let me guess you've attached the folder action to the Desktop folder? If your screenshots are still saved as kind "Portable Network Graphics image" with the extension "png" you can use this :

Code:
    on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
    	--change the following line to where your ScreenshotsBackup folder is located
    	-- eg "Macintosh HD:Users:yourusername:"
    	-- As you can see in my case it's a folder ScreenshotsBackup on the Desktop
    	set theDuplicateFolder to "LeopardFirewire:Users:test:Desktop:ScreenshotsBackup:"
    	--set theDuplicateFolder to (path to desktop as text) & "ScreenshotsBackup:"
    	[COLOR="Red"]set theExtensionList to {"png"}[/COLOR]
    	repeat with i from 1 to number of items in these_items
    		set this_item to item i of these_items
    		[COLOR="red"]set this_item_info to info for this_item[/COLOR]
    		tell application "Finder"
    			[COLOR="red"]if this_item_info's name extension is in the theExtensionList then[/COLOR]
    				duplicate this_item to theDuplicateFolder
    			[COLOR="red"]end if[/COLOR]
    		end tell
    	end repeat
    end adding folder items to