Screenshots for a convert

Discussion in 'macOS' started by backinblackacdc, Aug 23, 2009.

1. backinblackacdc macrumors newbie

Hello.

I want to buy myself a new mac, but the font smoothing has always been a problem for me and causes me to get bad headaches/migraines. It's definitely the way os x renders text, but I heard that there is a problem called tinkertool where you can turn off font smoothing on all text. Now supposedly if you turn it to say 145 point, then no more smoothing.

The problem is that I can't buy a mac until I know this solves my problem. So I'm hoping someone can download the tool, and post before and after screenshots so I can see if my eyes adjust.

I know it's a big ask, but it would really help me out. Can someone please please help me out? I'll even send an echeque for like $5 or something. I'm desperate.

Thankyou.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just get TinkerTool. Let's you set font-smoothing limits for all types of applications for fonts up to 144 pt. And it's free.

3. backinblackacdc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know I need tinkertool. I don't yet have a mac, but I need someone who already has a mac to take a screenshot without tinkertool on the fonts, and then one with tinkertool turning font smoothing off. This is so I can see if my eyes adjust. Surely someone can help a fellow hopeful convert out?

4. kolax macrumors G3

After a few weeks of you getting used to the Mac font anti-aliasing, you'll look at a Windows machine and your eyes will ache.

I did the same thing when I switched - I found the fonts fuzzy. Now I don't - and when I use a Windows machine, I can't believe how piercing sharp they are. Almost hurts my eyes.

Note that Windows 7 does have some advancements in font rendering and fonts are rendered much more softly compared to Windows XP.

I think this is something you should adjust to, rather than try to stick to the too sharp rendering of Windows XP.

Also, the way the Mac renders fonts replicates much better than Windows how a print out will be.

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Here's one example -- in Safari, of part of the page http://www.lipsum.com/ and should NOT be considered exhaustive testing.

Attached Files: