Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
Update: Figured it out. Can't use Number Pad to do this function. This thread can be used as reference if anyone else is as dumb as me. :)

==============

I can't seem to figure out how to take screenshots on my new Mac Pro. I'm used to hitting Print Screen on my Dell PC from before so i'm getting pretty frustrated.

I tried googling it and still can't seem to get it to work.

I am trying to use this information for the guides here but I can't seem to paste anything into Photoshop by using those commands:

* Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard
* Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
* Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard

In Leopard, the following keys can be held down while selecting an area (via Command-Shift-4 or Command-Control-Shift-4):

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

<edit> I just figured it out. Apparently you can't use the number pad to do this task and it worked using the regular numbers on the keyboard. </edit>

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Just tried it with the Command-Control-Shift-4 shortcut. Pasted fine into Photoshop CS3 (had to create a new document to paste into first as Photoshop does not seem to have a paste into new document command). Are you sure you are not taking screenshots to files on the Desktop?

ToastyX

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
If you want, you can reassign the shortcut to the Print Screen key (or F13 on Apple keyboards) by going into System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.