Screenshots: Is this what HDV should look like?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chirs, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Chirs macrumors newbie

Are the horizontal “jaggies” on these screenshots just interlacing artifacts? Would I get smooth edges simply by shooting in 30P?

Thanks to the people on this site dissuading me from hard drive cameras, I’m leaning toward HDV. These two screenshots are from camcorderinfo using the HV20. The download picture res is great – you can fill almost every pixel of a 1920 x 1080 monitor.

Notice the edges of the red logo on the subject’s shirt:

http://images.camcorderinfo.com/ima...ance_full/Canon_HV20_Person_Wide_adjusted.BMP

Notice the edges of these flowers:

http://images.camcorderinfo.com/ima...out/Performance_full/Canon_HV20_flowers_b.BMP

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The flower is definitely due to interlacing, and the red logo is mainly due to red being the hardest color for video to handle. Shooting in a progressive mode, and editing w/an app that can take advantage of the progressive mode, will help w/interlacing but the color red is still a b*tch.

Lethal

3. Chirs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Lethal.

1)I just spent an 45 minutes on google trying to figure out which codecs support 30p, and am still not entirely clear. Which ones do it besides ProRes?

2)Also, I want to make sure that the HV20/HV30 is actually outputting progressive scan, rather than interlacing the frames to 60i before output.

3)Regarding the jaggies on the pictures, I just read this and I'm not sure what to make of it. I was hoping FCP would be enough:
    http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=125625
    "I'm shooting on an HV20 some lately, always in the 24p mode. For a while I was doing the Apple-recommended workflow of capturing in FCP, then removing pulldown and transcoding to ProRes in Compressor. This seemed to work well enough, except I started to notice interlace artifacts remaining in my inverse telecined footage.
    More recently, I've been trying out the JES Deinterlacer workflow, and much to my surprise, the same exact clips that show artifacts after running them through Compressor work fine with no artifacts in JES."

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

30p I'm not sure about as that one is a bit of an odd duck.

It's always 60i when it gets laid down to tape, but inside that 60i stream is the 24p stream.

3)Regarding the jaggies on the pictures, I just read this and I'm not sure what to make of it. I was hoping FCP would be enough:[/QUOTE]
    I can't comment on the problems that poster had as I don't work w/24p on the HV20, but here is Apple's official document on extracting 24p from the 60i stream. Final Cut Pro 6: 1080p24 workflow for Canon HV20 camcorder

Lethal