Screw 10.7 Lion...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Polaro, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polaro macrumors newbie

Aight, 3 days ago i downloaded the new beta version of Lion...
    I didn't like it so well, but i thought i could give it a chance. Now I'm freaking tiard of this ****** version! It take to much time to logg on my MBP, and i think it got to many bugs..

Anyhow, what I'm asking for is how does i uninstall this ****? :(
    I miss 10.6 so bad :( Is it posible to save all my stuff to btw?

And also, if i have to live with lion to the next version comes out.
    My messenger icons have been ****'t up after i installed Lion, does anyone else have this problem?

Regard, Eirik :)

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

And here I'm wondering why they call it a beta, and limit it to people who understand what that kind of software entails.

3. Polaro thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh your so funny.. But is it a way to install 10.6 again? I got the disk's and all but it said i had a newer version (10.7) but how do install?

4. svenr macrumors regular

It's called BETA and Developer Preview for a reason.

Of course it has issues at this stage, otherwise they'd just start selling it. If you put this on your Mac for everyday, full-time work you're asking for trouble. And if you do this without properly backing up all your data before, you're a fool.

You can't "uninstall" an OS. Well, I guess you could delete your HD, that'd uninstall it. The only way, really, is to overwrite it with a fresh installation of 10.6 from the backup DVD that came with your computer. Just boot from CD/DVD by holding the C key.

Of course it's "posible to save all my stuff to" [sic], just copy it to another HD. And next time, BEFORE you play with beta OSs, use something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner or at least Time Machine to make a copy of your current system so that you can always go back to it.

5. MRiOS macrumors regular

You'll have to save your files onto an external drive and format the desired disk before you can re-install 10.6 onto the desired hard drive.

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Erase and install. If you don't even know that much...

7. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Don't torrent dev seeds if you can't handle the fact that they're a work in progress...

Ergo, you shouldn't be downloading or installing it in the first place, because even if you are a "developer," you certainly don't know much about computers.

8. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

What did you think you were going to get? It's a preview. Would you pay a ticket and snacks to watch the previews at the movie theater then leave? I didn't think so. It's out so developers can test their applications and make them compatible now so that when the actual release does come, it'll be smooth as butta

9. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Sorry OP you aren't digging a half completed OS. But that's beta. Very little polish and finery. Apple has released just enough functionality to give developers an idea of what is coming. But it is distributed with a user beware warning.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Developers have enough sense not to install developer previews for anything but testing.
    Apple provides a forum for developers to discuss problems.

11. polkunus macrumors member

Although, I understand what most of you peeps are saying, "Its in Beta, the product is unfinished" isn't a legitimate counter to someone's opinions. Usually software in "beta" are close to done (depend on the stage of beta of course). In most cases, if a user does not like the Beta he/she probably won't like the finished product either...

12. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

so by your argument, any software released as a beta is close to done and should be useable anyway?:rolleyes:

whats the point in it then...?:rolleyes:

there is no sympathy for the OP if he does not know what he is doing....

He shouldnt even have a copy of it in the first place. lol

13. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

It is just that this isn't a beta for users, it is for developers. The developers get an early edition so that they can make their applications ready for Lion when it ships by getting to try out the new functionality and finding bugs.

In any case, upgrading one's regular system instead of installing it on a separate drive is plain stupid. If a developer does this, I recommend to stay away from his/her creations. If a user does this, well, it isn't a problem since this shouldn't be in users' hands anyway.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's a Developer Preview release, not a beta release.

Form and function will both change several times before release.

Either way, slick your system and then reinstall 10.6

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is why only developers should get it. Its a BETA but obviously you don't understand what a Beta is (no offense) so I'll explain it:

When something is developed, it goes first through an alpha stage, where its barely useable but a lot of the core functions are in place. The GUI generally is not.

Once things are improved it goes to the Beta stage, where generally most of the testing is done, feedback on bugs is given, and bugs are fixed. There are false assumptions by people in this forum who think Beta versions are close to the actual version. Nope. Not even close. There are many Beta stages. The one Lion is in is a Developer Preview meaning it most likely just reached Beta and a lot of the core functionality is still buggy or missing. Software takes a long time to develop so developers are given a preview that they can work along with to ensure when Lion reaches further Beta stages and Gold that their apps will work flawlessly when the actual release of Lion comes.

Once it goes Gold, then it is ready for public consumption where everyone can download it and use it.

It then enters the "Maintenance" stage since not all bugs can be found in Beta/Gold and only surface when large numbers of users get it and do all kinds of things with it. The maintenance stage is what you see when you get point updates (like 10.6.5).

Your obviously not a developer so its your fault for putting lion on your system. You'll have to wipe out your hard drive and re-install snow leopard.

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

IIT: average technology noob apple fanboy complaining about developer preview software that's he's wasted £99 on and can't figure out to downgrade you have to reinstall the previous OS just like any other OS.

facepalm.jpg

17. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD ITS CALLED DEVELOPER PREVIEW DUDES AND DUDETTES....

beta this is not

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

I remember when I worked as an OS developer and we had to work on testing applications during development. We would get a new developer build and test it and it was quite common for lots of apps to do strange things or not work at all, and the whole point of the dev build was to find out what doesn't work. We had to find out if it was an application issue or an OS issue and report to the developers.

The applications people and developers have to work together to make sure things fit together; this is the whole point of developer builds.

New versions of an OS can be tricky for lots of different applications; system calls might return some unexpected results, other things simply work differently. Depending on how complex an application is, the more complex the application the more complex the interface to the OS is and the greater the possibility that there will be issues.

There are even cases where the OS would report back something incorrectly and the app would accept it but then the OS would be corrected and the app would think there was something wrong.

There are huge opportunities for things to get confused during development.

19. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Funny and absolutely right! If you thought you were getting a brand new, fully working OS you should have never installed in the first place.

Your fault, quit whining...

20. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

The worst part is he probably didn't even pay money for it; I bet he either downloaded it through a certain website, or torrented it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.