Screw Ireland!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajbrehm, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

At least that is what o2 has to say about the matter.

After how many months o2 have finally decided to release the iPhone in Ireland. But apparently letting Irish customers wait wasn't funny enough, so they have removed the iPhone's most famous features: unmetered Internet access and Visual Voicemail.

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone/Find+out+more

I was absolutely going to buy an iPhone. And I knew that would give us a worse deal than the British and Germans (and French and Americans). But that was apparently not enough. O2 just had to destroy it for everyone, didn't they.

So, finally I am not getting an iPhone after all. And I have already called o2 and sent them an email to tell them that I am cancelling my contract and switch to Vodafone. They have unmetered Internet access, a 3G network, and everything.

I can still get an unlocked iPhone from France of Germany, I suppose. (But Visual Voicemail won't work. Haha!)

Screw you, o2! We know we are only Ireland, but wouldn't a simple picture of a middle finger on the o2 Web site be enough to tell us that?

Very angry,

Andrew.

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Where is this "unmetered" internet access? Or do you mean the add-on package for 30 euro?

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I think a better thread title would have been "Screw o2!".

Anyway, I doubt many people are able to exceed 1GB of data usage in a one month period over the EDGE connection on the iPhone. It also says that visual voicemail "is not currently supported", so maybe you'll have that functionality as well in the near future.

4. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

My usage stats are close to 1gig a day, at least. 3.6 as of right now. If I couldn't get unlimited data, I'd be poor in a hurry.

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

You're using 1 gigabyte a day looking at webpages and youtube videos on your iPhone?

If you maintained a constant 200kbps (bits, not bytes) EDGE connection it would take roughly 11 hours to download 1 gigabyte worth of data.

6. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

1 GIG A DAY !?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wanna see a screen shot of that baby!!!!

Show us your useage screen!!!

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

My usage shows 56.3MB sent and 346MB received over EDGE since June 29, 2007. This is with usage of maybe an average of 5 minutes a day on EDGE.

8. iStefmac macrumors regular

Oh yes curse those companies for not making things 100% equal across the entire globe. Such a thing is so easy and simple after all.

9. jontucker macrumors 6502

Does anyone else smell that?

10. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

11. oldimac macrumors regular

Ya, right ajbrehm - gotta get up earlier than you did today to pull that one off :D

12. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Just reading off what it says in the Edge Network Data field of the usage stats page.

Sent 596 mb
    Received 3.6 gb

Unless that is an all time reading, which it is starting to seem that it is. Oops. I've had the phone since August, so 1 gig a month might be reasonable after all.

My laptop has been down for almost a month, and the iPhone is my sole means of Internet access, too.

13. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

My usage stats for 7 months:
    24.6 MB sent
    193 MB recieved

And I think I'm using it fairly often cause my neighbours internet seems to go down very often :rolleyes:.

So 1 GB a month wouldn't be a problem. However I hope they fix visual voicemail for you soon enough. I would be seriously irritated if they wouldn't fix it whenever it launches here (Sweden, any year now... :()

14. brian250 macrumors member

I have my iPhone on a UK contract. When Im home in Ireland visual voicemail does work when Im connected to a wi-fi network.

Visual voice mail is not a big thing for me, I HATE, HATE, HATE voicemail fullstop and rarely retrieve mine. VV is a good solution though.

Im thinking of geting mine unlocked use in ireland, is there any network that offers a data add-on/bolt-on on prepay?

Brian.