Screw optical/dvd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleater, Mar 3, 2011.

1. appleater macrumors member

[​IMG]

Look how big that damn optical drive is, Apple needs to drop it for the 2012 refresh and use the space for better components, like a dedicated SSD for OSX, bigger battery, bigger batter gpu & cooling system etc.

Had my Macbook since 2006 and only used the disc drive twice, 1st for leopard, 2nd time for snow leopard, and I will be downloading Lion from the app store ;)

2. Tonepoet, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

I don't particularly care for optical discs myself but they're the industry's physical media of choice at the moment thanks to their high disposability. SD cards don't have nearly the same price to GB ratio and downloads aren't right for everybody. I've talked about why I like physical media multiple times before so I won't go too deeply into that.

TBH if we're going to bother with space management, I'd rather they drop the speakers. I have expensive speakers in my home theater system and if I'm out on the go, I'm very likely to want to use headphones so I don't annoy the other people around me and if I really, really need to have sound everybody can gather 'round for sharing silly Youtube videos 'n stuff I can buy something like this for really cheap and maybe an extension cord if I want to keep the adjacent ports free. Whatever Apple's using is probably a waste of money and I think we could maybe get an expresscard slot or two back out of the deal with a reformed motherboard. Since Expresscard 2.0 does 5Gbps, we could eliminate all the legacy ports with updated Expresscard/34 slots and have people buy whatever non-Thunderbolt ports they need, inc. USB 3.0. That'd solve the expandability complaints rather readily.

Also I refuse to use TB as an acronym for Thunderbolt as it's already taken by Terabyte. :p

Edit: Just wanted to add that it's not just the laptop. I'm sick of paying for cheap to mediocre speakers time and time again that I don't really need. Especially my T.V. which sits right above my AV receiver, meaning I'll never actually use the built in ones... How in the heck did the speaker industry become so integrated into our culture?