Screw problem???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ki2594, Apr 26, 2008.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Ok, so this isn't huge, but ima perfectionist sooo i wanna fix this. On the side of my macbook, the left side, there are those two screws right. Well i think the screw closest to the ports is lose because if u push at it the casing kinda goes in. But you can push the ports in, just the part where the screw is. Do you think i could fix that myself???

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I don't see why not, if you have the right screwdriver.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

The reason why those screws are loose is because they are for show & actually don't screw into anything,have a read of this,as far as im aware this issue still stands

EDIT so what ergdegdeg just posted is not true as not matter what screwdriver you use is pointless as there's nothing behind them ie thread to screw into

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Are they truly 100% cosmetic? Every guide I have ever seen tells you to remove those 2 screws before removing the topcase, but I have never tried removing it without...

I too had heard the cosmetic story, and I can definitely believe it, but I was just checking on whether or not they are 100% cosmetic, or if they just don't screw into anything rigid.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I thought it was just me, I don't know how many times I tried to screw in that one screw. The only time I didn't like it was when I had my Kennington lock installed. Then the side really pulled away.

6. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Why the hell have apple placed 2 screws on either side if it doesn't do anything.
    To be honest it looks crap and is one of the first things I noticed when I opened the box.

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The 2 small screws on the port side don't need to be removed to remove the topcase. Most of the guides tell you to remove them but it is pointless since they don't hold anything on

They both screw into a small metal plate behind the battery connection panel - but I don't see why they are there to be honest. Maybe they were going to be used to connect the topcase originally but the topcase is now held in place in that corner by 2 screws accessed from inside the battery connector.....

So yes just tighten them up - the plate they screw into is threaded so should not be a problem....

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you what you are saying is true then why do people still have squishy sides are we ref to the same screws like the one's in the link i posted as people still cant screw these in and the reason i thought this is because there cosmetic and dont screw into anything

9. eman macrumors 6502a

This is correct. The two screws connect to a small piece of metal and does nothing. These two screws are cosmetic and don't need to be removed period.

10. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok lol soo should i go ahead and screw it in tight, or just forget about it?

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Just leave the 2 screws on the outside alone....

Instead take the battery out and look at the battery connection plate. There are 2 screws at each end of the plate - ignore them but locate the 2 screws either side of the plate - loosen these off (half a turn or so) and then while pushing down gently on the topcase above the screws tighten them back up.

Squishiness should be gone.....

Do let us know what happens - philips 00 size screwdriver required.