Screw Size for unibodyMBP Back Cover

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by allanibanez, Jul 3, 2009.

1. allanibanez macrumors regular

The rear cover of my mbp is quite badly aligned; the left side of it near the cooling fan entrance overhangs quite a lot, which is what i think is causing my screen to squeak when it is moved as there is some obvious friction here. Anyway, i wouldnt mind taking the back panel off and realigning it properly to see if it cures the issue, however im not sure what size screwdriver to use. I have a phillips #00 and it has managed to remove 3 of the screws but there is still a good 5 i cant get out. Is #00 the right size or do i need to go smaller still/get a better #00 screw driver.

Any tips on getting these tiny screws out would be appreciated!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iFixIt.com, greatest resource for taking apart your machines that were designed in Cupertino.

3. allanibanez thread starter macrumors regular

4. Sleepy Dog macrumors member

I purchased a kit containing the exact same bits (and more) last weekend from Maplins for £8.

For some reason the kit I bought is not listed on their website but is available in store. So you know what to look/ask for, the kit is made by Rolson and comes in a little black and red pouch.

5. Jsimon9633 macrumors regular

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

$18 is Re-dic-u-lous. Go to Sears (one w/ a hardware store). You can get a jewelers AKS "precision screwdriver set" for $4-5. A #6 Torx driver will run you another $3.

Alternative, try Microcenter. I recently bought an entire set of Torx 4-20 + Philips 00-1 and 1.4-3mm slot drivers for $10.

7. Jsimon9633 macrumors regular

ok hah, I believe you. I just got that because I saw it and to me 18 dollars didnt sound bad :)

but yes any person that wants to mess with their laptop should have some set of tools to do it correctly :)

8. martynmc7 macrumors regular

If you're in the UK try www.macupgrades.co.uk

They sell the correct tools for both the internal and external cases of any current mac, as well as RAM, HDs etc.

9. allanibanez thread starter macrumors regular

10. Sleepy Dog macrumors member

11. Sleepy Dog macrumors member

12. allanibanez thread starter macrumors regular

13. Sleepy Dog macrumors member