Screw Stuck in VGA Port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Casey01, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So, I guess I wasn't thinking when this happened, but I accidentally placed one of the screws that holds the keyboard and trackpad in place into one of the areas where the screw from a VGA cable would go. And I'm having a hell of a time getting it out. So, help me please?

2. mgartner0622, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Just wondering, do you mean the DVI port on your MacBook Pro if it's an older model? I don't remember any recent Macs with a VGA.

Anyways, to get the screw out just use a strong magnet, such as a rare earth magnet, or have someone hold the computer so the screw is upside down while you unscrew it while applying very light pressure.

3. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

It is a DVI port. Sorry. But yes.

And apart from that I ended up tightening one of the torque screws to tightly and now I have stuck and no matter what I've tried.

And also one of the tabs on the top shell(The one with the keyboard and trackpad) broke.

I'm starting to regret buying a MacBook. It has given me such a headache today.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Sounds to me like you're blaming the Macbook when the problem is on the OTHER end of the screwdriver. :cool:

5. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I've done this before and the only way to take it out (in my experience) is to completely take apart the MBP down to logic board and pull the the screw out that way. There was no way I could figure to pull the screw out the way it came in. It was a complete pain in the ass, but I like taking things apart so it was a good experience for me. You should visit iclarified.com for walkthroughs on everything. It's a very good resource if you do decide to take apart your MBP