Screw to remove harddrive doesn't unscrew Help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Oliverg109, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Oliverg109 macrumors newbie

Ok so this is my issue..I was trying to unscrew the screw to replace the harddrive but I had the wrong screw driver so the screw lost a tab bit of it's shape.then I bought the right 00philips screw or w.e it's called and when I was trying to unscrew it, it lost it's shape and now I can't unscrew the damn screw. I honestly don't know what to do, would apple help with that or bestbuy(since bought it in best buy) would they just tell me it can't be fixed? Because I need this new hardrive which as the neccesary storage for my personal use... Oh and I have the late 2008 model MacBook

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't have any serious experience with the internals of Apple laptops, but if it's actually a phillips screw you can get a flathead of the same slot width and use the non-bent section of the head.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you're talking about the captive screws on the "L" bracket, it's likely too small for the average E-Z Out or similar tools. Using a Dremel and cutting wheel to create another slot is also going to be seriously awkward. Hammer & chisel? I don't think so.

Unless Loctite was applied (doubtful), the only way the screw could be so firmly seized as to cause stripping of the slot is if it were badly overtightened or cross-threaded the last time it was tightened, or you were holding the screwdriver at too oblique of an angle when trying to unscrew it. I've undone those countless times with no problems at all.

I'd get it to the nearest Apple Store or authorized service center. They'll have better luck (and will make good on anything they mess up), plus you'll need to get the bracket replaced anyway assuming the screws are not replaceable in the bracket.