Screw won't go in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reclusive46, Aug 25, 2011.

1. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I just upgraded the ram and this one screw will refuse to go in. It'll go in and turn a little bit but will just fall out. I know its the right place. Any suggestions?

2. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Are you trying to put a shorter screw into one of the holes meant for a longer screw? 3 of them along the hinge, to the right, are longer (the leftmost one along the hinge is the same as the other 6).

That, or if you tried to tighten it too much initially, you could have stripped out the hole... it is only aluminum after all.

3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Check out the ifixit guides, they tell you what screws go where and what size they are.

4. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Yeah its definitely the right place.

----------

Tbh I only ever had issues with the screw after a Genius did work on my display. I struggled to get it out in the first place. It didn't even seem to want to come out.

5. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Sounds like your thread is gone. I had the same problem. The threads in the Unibody itself are perfectly fine, but the one in the camera cable guide is gone. It's a small aluminum part which secures the camera cable, right above the optical bay, which could be replaced in a second. My local AASP didn't want to help me, so I just ordered a 5mm screw (2.9mm original). Problem solved for me.