Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arei

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
Texas
It’s been almost 3 months and my XS is at 98%. I keep it on a wireless charger a lot, which probably doesn’t help. I had to get my 6S Plus battery replaced, and since dealing with that I’ve got three power banks and always keep one on me lol.

I’m not too concerned. On my days off I use my phone quite a bit (like today). I spend a lot of time streaming Apple Music at work and that doesn’t really kill the battery, unless I’m constantly touching my phone on slow days.

The battery life is way better than the 6S Plus ever was with the old and the new battery, so I’m good. I’ll keep watching though, in case it does a sharp dive.

Reactions: janeauburn

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It’s been almost 3 months and my XS is at 98%. I keep it on a wireless charger a lot, which probably doesn’t help. I had to get my 6S Plus battery replaced, and since dealing with that I’ve got three power banks and always keep one on me lol.

I’m not too concerned. On my days off I use my phone quite a bit (like today). I spend a lot of time streaming Apple Music at work and that doesn’t really kill the battery, unless I’m constantly touching my phone on slow days.

The battery life is way better than the 6S Plus ever was with the old and the new battery, so I’m good. I’ll keep watching though, in case it does a sharp dive.

There's no reason why you should be concerned at all over 2%. Especially given that all battery health measurements are estimates, and therefore have some margin of error, for all intents and purposes 98% is still a perfect battery.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Battery capacity is not a fuel tank and what you’re seeing is normal on all batteries.

Battery degradation is not a linear process. You’ll go down a few percent and then it will sit around there for months. No amount of engineering from any company is going to change chemistry and any manufacturer claiming otherwise would simply be cheating in their capacity algorithm. Apple has actually been updating theirs to be more accurate.

Your phone is new, 100% working as intended, no need for any concern. Just enjoy your phone and check in on that stat every week or so (you’ll drive yourself nuts if you check it daily) and you’ll fine you’ve got a perfectly working device. Enjoy it.

QFT.

Reactions: willmtaylor

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Concern for battery health at 99% ......... Total Male Bovine Feces.

About time Apple remove battery percentage health report capability. Too much battery nonsense on here.

Totally useless information needlessly causing concern to users that have not a clue. Phone works, lasts the day on an overnight charge, or close to it then all good. If it doesn’t take to to Apple store for check up.

Let’s get the new solid Li Ion battery technology into mass manufacturing. 5-10 times energy density with zero fire concerns. Time to release next phase of Roswell crash reverse engineering efforts for general use.

Last edited:

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Take a deep breath and check it again in three months. Don’t panic bc it is at 99 percent. I worry about this stuff 0 percent when the phone is under warranty. Apple makes good on battery issues under warranty. This is not something to stress about.

I do love scrolling an online forum and seeing people cussing about 1 percent of battery life. Man we live in a privileged world where we can complain about something so trivial.

Last edited:

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
Bought a 8 plus about a month ago. Battery is at 98% already. I don’t give a **** to be honest.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Until the big legal dustups over Apple's purposeful slowing of phones w/ "degraded" batteries caused the company to offer no-questions-asked battery replacement in 2018, the store closest to me never once agreed to replace my battery, and I asked them to on 3 separate occasions.

Had your battery turned to dust?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Is it best not to let your battery get below 20%? Or is it okay to use it until it depletes to 0% and charge it back to 100%?

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
What do I say when I take it back? My old iPhone X didn't do that? You know they'll say "it's within spec"

They'll say it because it's true.

This post is the reason they never offered detailed battery analytics before. Because people are freaking out over a 1% drop in capacity.

If it drops significantly before it's got a few hundred charge cycles on it, yeah that's a problem. But batteries naturally vary. The idea that it's planned obsolescence is dumb, just as it always has been.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Lithium ion batteries are at their healthiest when kept above 20%. Technically 80% is better for them than 100%, but at that point the difference is negligible.

Thank you for the info. I was asking because I pretty much kept my X glued to a charger which I didn’t do with my 7+, and my X was at 89% before having the battery replaced and phone replaced on 12/21/18. My phone definitely wasn’t lasting as long as when I first got it on 11/3/17. I will be upgrading in September 2019, but I would love for my battery to not hit 89% by September.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
and how can it be even possible?

I’ve monitored my phones weekly with coconutBattery. It’s not too hard - don’t drain to 0% try not to let it get too hot. I’ve found keeping the battery near 100% results in the battery trickle charging most of its life.

My 6S+ stayed at 96% it’s entire nearly two year life. My 6+ lost almost 10% from 108%.

So it could be his battery was over design capacity. That’s the most likely. My 8+ was 102% and my Xs Max is 101%.

Isidor’s book mentions how lithium ion batteries can actually increase in capacity for the first 100 cycles. (Author of batteryuniversity.com).

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I never check my battery percentage during the day
That's because I keep my phone on a wireless charger at work much of the day
And I charge it overnight every night

When it is not on a charger and I am carrying it around and using it, I never pay attention to percentage

At 15 months, my X is still at 100% capacity
(I never check that either, but did because of this thread)

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I never check my battery percentage during the day
That's because I keep my phone on a wireless charger at work much of the day
And I charge it overnight every night

When it is not on a charger and I am carrying it around and using it, I never pay attention to percentage

At 15 months, my X is still at 100% capacity
(I never check that either, but did because of this thread)

That’s exactly what I do too. 7 months in and my X is at 100% as well. I do really wonder if our habits help the battery health.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2015
They'll say it because it's true.

This post is the reason they never offered detailed battery analytics before. Because people are freaking out over a 1% drop in capacity.

If it drops significantly before it's got a few hundred charge cycles on it, yeah that's a problem. But batteries naturally vary. The idea that it's planned obsolescence is dumb, just as it always has been.

The reason they never offered detailed analytics is because they were doing shady **** and didn't want people to know. The reason why they NOW have it is because they got busted anyway so they had to do something.
[doublepost=1546439913][/doublepost]
Take a deep breath and check it again in three months. Don’t panic bc it is at 99 percent. I worry about this stuff 0 percent when the phone is under warranty. Apple makes good on battery issues under warranty. This is not something to stress about.

I do love scrolling an online forum and seeing people cussing about 1 percent of battery life. Man we live in a privileged world where we can complain about something so trivial.
It's not about 1% or 1/2% or 1/8%. That's why I mentioned my previous phone's performance. It's about performance degradation with each new model and shady business tactics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
It can certainly go back up. My MacBook Pro measured with Coconut dropped to 92% before shooting back up to 99% over its first year / 50 cycles.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
The reason they never offered detailed analytics is because they were doing shady **** and didn't want people to know. The reason why they NOW have it is because they got busted anyway so they had to do something.
[doublepost=1546439913][/doublepost]
It's not about 1% or 1/2% or 1/8%. That's why I mentioned my previous phone's performance. It's about performance degradation with each new model and shady business tactics.

But I have had the percentage fluctuate. It has gone up an down...and it has also help a percentage for long time so this isn’t as much about degradation...and you freaking about 1 percent. I have had coconut battery also show the Max capacity decreasing and increasing. A 1 percent drop is not enough of a pattern to draw a conclusion IMHO...and certainly cussing about it seems a bit over reactive. Feels like behavior my 12 year old would try to pull after watching mouthy you tubers.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
What I haven’t seen posted is someone complaining about throttling and stating they prefer that their phone crashes.

When the battery ages to the point that it can no longer support the hardware, the hardware will a) crash, or b) need to slow down. I actually applaud Apple for throttling old batteries - i could not imagine anyone complaining.

Batteries are consumables and degrade over time, they have to be replaced periodically. There’s no argument around that, and Apple can’t fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.