Screw you o2!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdamA9, Oct 28, 2010.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Just had a message this week from o2, letting me know that my free MMS is coming to an end tomorrow, that my unlimited data ended Monday and bluebook is no longer saving my messages.

Just checked my usage after resetting Monday and I'm already at 250mb! I'm going to be severely disadvantaged now, I'm regretting not getting a PAYG sim with unlimited data!

So much for making my phone mobile. Thanks o2, good job :mad:

2. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

Welcome to the world of being torn a new one from the uk network providers if your on an iphone tarriff!

Im on orange with a 750mb limit and have hit it after 3 weeks. God knows how but i have. :rolleyes:

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Tell me about it. 500MB is scandalous.
    It basically rules out any video, and very limited browsing. 1GB would have been reasonable.
    Tesco Mobile(which uses the o2 network) has cheaper deals with a 1GB limit. I'm seriously considering switching, when my contract is up.

4. jck1634 macrumors regular

jck1634

This is precisely why I bought my iPhone from apple and not an upgrade from O2. Its ridiculous to gimp a smart phone with a data cap. Switched to an O2 pay and go tariff with free o2 to o2 calls and SMS so long as I top up £15 a month.
    I use £10 of that for the unlimited data bolt-on with a Fiver left over to call other networks which I hardly ever do since everyone I know is on O2 with an iPhone. My monthly cost is never more than £20 and data usage is regularly 500mb a month at least. Since the phones from Apple, there's nothing O2 can do about it. :p

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What are you guys doing on your iPhones to eat into your allowance like that? Over the corse of 1 contract month I use about 100-150MB (if that) and I use my phone a lot.

6. jck1634 macrumors regular

jck1634

Mine is high because when I'm out and about, I use the Internet tethering option that somehow appeared on my phone when I upgraded my 3G to 4.0. When I bought the iPhone 4 and restored settings from back it just kinda stuck. Never paid for it and it's still there.

7. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I'd suggest going to Three. Cheaper. More data. Free tethering.

C.

8. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

Thats a nice workaround. Unfort I didnt have 500 notes available at the time my 3G gave up the ghost just to hand over to apple so had to get what i got. :(

And to eat my allowance. I travel up and down the country a lot on trains and if no wifi is available i use the network i paid for and rack up the data.

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

+1. Much better coverage and speeds than O2 in my local area.

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

No no, sounds like O2 screwed you...

O2 are the worst network I've ever been on. Over my 18 month contract there wasn't a single one where I didn't have some data outage, network issue or similar to contend with. Switched to Vodafone, and, tax avoidance issues aside, I'm very pleased with the service, network, speeds and coverage.

11. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

Lol:D

12. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Video, internet that sort of thing. Just a simple 'hey, check out this video on mpora' turns into a 'I have a cool video but cannot show you because o2 think 500mb is enough data for me!'
    :mad:

13. davidhawkins123 macrumors regular

WHY DONT YOU USE GIFFGAFF!!!!! http://giffgaff.com/ THEY USE O2'S NETWORK AND YOU GET TRUE UNLIMITED DATA, UNLIMITED TEXTS & 155 MINUTES FOR ONLY £10/MONTH NOT CONTRACT JUST LIKE O2'S SIMPLICITY

14. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

isnt that grounds for contract termination without early fee? id assume so, unless you signed up with a warning that the tariff will be changing

15. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

I too want to know this, O2 advised me that the 500mb data cap would happen when I signed my contract (july) but NEVER mentioned the MMS charge, until my text message yesterday giving me less than 12 hours notice of the charge, this is against their own terms as the contract states they need to give 28 days notice of any change that will result in the customer being worse off. I use MMS heavily so I most certainly will be worse off.

In fact, going to ring O2 now, will update soon.

PS - yup, i'm VERY annoyed about this.

16. anthdci macrumors 6502

after doing some reading, once you hit your limit, you are not automatically charged for more data. You will receive a text when you hit 80% then another at 100% at that point you can continue to use data, but at a slower speed. I don't know what that speed is though.

Not having MMS included has really annoyed me also :mad:

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I know it's more money, but with O2 you can add another 500mb for £7.50 a month, which also automatically enables tethering support

18. george6000 macrumors member

another vote for giff gaff the best network there is! internet is truly unlimited

19. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I am with Tesco. You will lose your visual voicemail and I can't use data while on a call but the extra minutes and data make up for it :D

20. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

im with o2, have simplicity 20 for iphone,

i also have just lost free MMS and they now cost 20p each,

well with unlimited internet i signed up for a rolling 1 month contract for £20 a month before june 25th? or was the cut off july 25th? well anyway if u did that u KEEp unlimited for the duration or change your policy.

i kept telling people this on here but no one belived me ;p

21. fluffer macrumors member

I've been with O2 forever and stayed when I got my 3G S on launch day due to unlimited and MMS. I too got a text saying free MMS is being dropped and I will be charged. I went on O2's chat thingy and got told that MMS would now be part of my text allowance and there would be no extra costs. As I never exceed my text allowance, it won't affect me.

With regards to unlimited data, I've not had this taken away.... yet. I too would stuggle as I seem to use a lot, usage states 3.1gb since reset on 21/6/10. Surely they cant just cap your tarif just like that?!

22. mroddjob macrumors member

giffgaff looks interesting, but it says on their website the unlimited internet only lasts till 1st December :confused:

23. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I don't think they can without telling you. However, I was told when I purchased my iPhone at the O2 store on launch day.

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think the days of unlimited internet access are coming to an end and all carriers are introducing capped internet plans. The official line from most carriers is that this is due to abuse by small numbers of users who are using gigabytes of data a month through illicit tethering, etc.
    Personally, I can understand caps, but do feel that 500mb is a bit on the small size: A cap of 2GB would pretty much cover any legitimate use of a smart phone for a month but would stop people over-using the service to the detriment of others

25. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

+1