Screwed out of early upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lionsandwings, Jun 12, 2010.

1. lionsandwings macrumors newbie

My mom washed her iPhone on May 24th. She went directly to an AT&T store to buy a new one (without calling me first) and bought a new 3GS iPhone with an early upgrade for $299.

When she told me what she did I nearly passed out, so did she once I told her the new phone was being announced in just over a week.

Anyway, she went back to the AT&T store this week to see what could be done. They were very helpful, and told her she could come back to the store on 6/15, they will return her phone and give her $299 back, she can then pre-order the new iPhone 4 at the "early renewal price" of $299 or $399.

Here is my question about being screwed. Her renewal date prior to her buying the new iPhone (and agreeing to a 2 year contract extension) on 5/24 was December 2010. And since her renewal date as of early June when AT&T pushed up the renewals for those in 2010 to ready now was in 2012, her date did not change. When she returns her phone, the AT&T rep said that her renewal date will revert back to Dec 2010 and she will be eligible for the early upgrade discount, not the full upgrade discount.

Do you think there is any chance she will be able to get the iPhone 4 for $199 when she returns her phone on 6/15?

I might note that her account has a total of 3 iPhones on it, all 3 of which had upgrade dates between July and Dec 2010 and the remaining 2 where bumped up to eligible now for the full upgrade.

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

That doesn't sound correct, if she returns the phone within a 30-day time span, she should get a full refund and be eligible for the biggest discount with a 2-year renewal ($199 or $299 for 16gb or 32gb, respectively). There may a small restocking fee or something, I don't know, but it shouldn't effect the eligibility.

Also, the early upgrade price is $399 or $499 for a 16GB or 32GB iPhone 4, not $299 or $399.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yep, she is good for the upgrade to the iPhone 4. Just have her go to the AT&T store and "not" return the iPhone 3GS.

She wants to do an exchange for the iPhone 4. They can start the process and pre-order the iPhone 4 for her and she can keep using her iPhone 3GS until her iPhone 4 arrives at the store. If there is any question just have her tell the RSC to reference the June 7 Ops Brief on this very subject.

She will have to pay the 10% restocking fee but she will have used the iPhone 3GS for 30 days or more.

Dave

4. lionsandwings thread starter macrumors newbie

The agent said that she would not be eligible for a full upgrade ($199/$299) for the iPhone 4 because her full upgrade eligibility date will go back to December 2010.

She is expecting to get money back out of this deal. I think she got an 8GB for $299 with her early renewal, she wants to exchange the phone she has for the iPhone 4 AND get a refund of $100 (less the re-stocking fee).

Is this unreasonable? Had this whole thing not happened, she would have been able to get the iPhone 4 for $199/$299.